Last month my parents, Ben, and I took the kids to a really fun place in town that has pickleball, arcade games, bocce ball, corn hole, and most importantly, a bar. What can I say, losing at pickleball to your 60+ year old Dad with two bad knees stings a little less when a server stops by to deliver Whiteclaws in between matches.
This establishment also has a killer food menu with tons of gluten free options, including a half sheet pan of nachos which they call a “Sheet Ton of Nachos”. (Har har har.) Now, if you need to know one thing about me, it’s that nachos are my kryptonite. I LOVE nachos, so of course I ordered them for dinner after wrapping up our afternoon of fun. You guys, all I have to say is: QUESO. These nachos were drenched in queso and, as such, I inhaled…a sheet ton. Queso on gluten free nachos is nearly unheard of and I had to take full advantage! I then figured if their kitchen could figure out gluten free queso, I could too, and thus, Chorizo Queso Dip – the ultimate game day dip – was born.
Whether you douse a platter of tortilla chips with this creamy, cheesy dip, or keep warm in a crock pot to scoop and enjoy as you please, you’re going to flip for the combination of sizzling chorizo, creamy American cheese, and diced tomatoes and green chilies. Yep, just three ingredients needed for this amazing recipe!
Speaking of tomatoes, my Chorizo Queso Dip is sponsored by Red Gold® Tomatoes and I used their Original Tex-Mex Petite Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies which has the perfect amount of spice to make it.
I’ve been working with Red Gold® Tomatoes for the past year and have fully switched over to using their canned tomato products in any recipe that calls for them. You must take a look at the side-by-side quality comparison test I did last year between Red Gold® Whole Peeled Tomatoes and another leading brand – it’s such a hoot!
Red Gold® tomato products are not only gluten free, but sustainably grown in the Midwest. Their tomatoes are of the highest quality and taste fresh and juicy – not tinny and bland. LOVE this brand!
Red Gold asked me to create a recipe to celebrate football and tailgating season, and I can’t wait for you to try this gluten free dip recipe. Beef and Queso Dip is always a popular game day option, but I wanted to give it a new spin by using chorizo instead of beef, and white American cheese instead of processed orange cheese (you know the one…).
This dip is incredibly easy, crowd pleasing, and a dish you’ll look forward to devouring after a tough game of pickleball…or while watching your favorite football team battle it out on the field!
How to Make Chorizo Queso Dip
Start by browning 8oz Mexican-style pork chorizo. I have thoughts about some store-bought chorizo tasting overwhelmingly like clove and/or cinnamon, and am including my favorite brand in the notes section of the recipe card below.
Scoop the browned chorizo onto a paper-towel lined plate to drain then place a couple more paper towels on top to soak up as much grease as possible. If you skip this step, the grease will rise to the top of the queso dip. No bueno!
Next, cube 1-1/2lbs gluten free white American cheese then add to a large, microwave-safe bowl. I’m also including my favorite brand of gluten free American cheese in the recipe card below.
To the cheese add a 10oz can Original Tex-Mex Petite Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained.
Microwave the cheese and tomatoes in 1 minute increments, stirring between increments, until the cheese is smooth.
Finally, add the drained chorizo then stir it in. That’s all she wrote!
You can either serve the Chorizo Queso Dip right away with tortilla chips, or pour it into a crock pot set to warm so you can scoop and dip when you please. Feel free to add a splash of milk if the dip gets too thick.
I LOVED the dip with a burst of freshness from a scoop of fresh Pico de Gallo (recipe is in the notes section of the recipe card below.) It’s optional but the zing from the lime especially goes so well with the chorizo queso. Oh man…YUM!!!! I hope you love this awesome, easy, totally delicious dip! Enjoy!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Chorizo Queso Dip
Chorizo Queso Dip is made from just three ingredients! This creamy, cheesy, gluten free dip recipe will be the hit of your next tailgate party.
- 8oz Mexican-style pork chorizo
- 1-1/2lbs gluten free white American cheese, cubed
- 10oz can Red Gold® Original Tex-Mex Petite Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained
- Add chorizo to a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Brown then scoop onto a paper towel lined plate to drain, placing a couple more paper towels on top to soak up as much fat as possible (otherwise the grease will rise to the top of the dip.) Set aside.
- Add cheese cubes and Red Gold® Original Tex-Mex Petite Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies to a large, microwave safe bowl then microwave in 1 minute increments, stirring between increments, until smooth. Add chorizo then stir to combine. Serve immediately with chips or transfer to a crock pot set to warm (not low) to keep hot. You may add a splash of milk if needed to keep the dip creamy.
- Some store-bought chorizo brands can have an overwhelming cinnamon and/or clove flavor. I prefer El Popular Brand, which is gluten free.
- I get gluten free white American cheese from my grocery store’s deli counter. Normally deli counters are considered NOT SAFE for those with Celiac Disease or a severe gluten intolerance, as slicers and cutting boards are shared with gluten-containing foods. What I do is ask for the amount of cheese I need to be sliced off a new block with a fresh knife. I use Bongards brand, which at the time of this writing, 9/19, is GF.
- Easy Pico de Gallo: In a small bowl combine 2 chopped vine-ripened tomatoes, 1/4 small white onion that’s been minced, a small handful cilantro that’s been chopped, the juice of 1/2 lime, salt, and pepper.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.