It’s always fun pulling a recipe you’re testing off the stove or out of the oven, taking a bite and getting to say, “oooh buddy, I think we have a winner!” Gluten Free Zucchini Coffee Cake is definitely falling into that recipe category!
I almost had a Miranda Hobbs moment during recipe testing where I considered dumping the the remaining zucchini coffee cake I’d been uncontrollably gnawing on into the garbage then drizzling it with soap whilst calling a friend for moral support. Thankfully this yummy recipe is freezer-friendly so I threw it in there for future gnawing instead.
August means many things around here – state fair time, back to school time, and zucchini coming out of your EARS time. That is to say, zucchini’s growing in abundance right now and this Gluten Free Zucchini Coffee Cake is going to be your favorite way to use up a portion of that zucchini that’s as big as your femur, and currently sitting on your countertop.
We’ve all got that family member, friend, or co-worker who hands you one of those monsters, which you gladly accept, but have no idea what you’re going to do with it, right?
Listen to me and use it in this dense, just sweet enough, incredibly moist (sorry, moist-haters!), PERECT zucchini coffee cake that’s a cinch to make. No crazy gluten-free flour blending – just two bowls, a whisk, and some pantry and garden staples. Oh, and a cup of coffee or tea to pair it with!
Now, why is this recipe considered zucchini coffee cake vs plain old zucchini bread? First of all there’s warming spices including cinnamon and nutmeg in the batter, which are commonly found in coffee cakes, and while zucchini bread is typically light as air, this coffee cake is dense and chewy, aka highly addictive. (See Miranda Hobbs moment above!)
Couple more fun facts – you can use coconut oil OR canola/vegetable/any light colored oil in the batter, this coffee cake is also dairy-free and, as I mentioned, freezer-friendly, too. Let’s get to it!
Start by combining the dry ingredients in a large bowl. That’s 1-1/2 cups gluten-free all purpose baking mix (my brand recommendation is below) whisked together with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon each gluten-free baking soda and baking powder (I use Bob’s Red Mill,) scant 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Make a well with your whisk in the center of the bowl to pour the wet ingredients into.
We’ve been using King Arthur’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Mix for our GF baking projects lately and are so impressed, plus it makes the FLUFFIEST most NORMAL tasting gluten-free pancakes ever! Truly a cup for cup exchange for all-purpose flour without costing a ridiculous amount of money. I highly recommend.
Next mix the wet ingredients together which includes 1/4 cup melted coconut oil OR light oil like canola, vegetable, avocado, etc, 1 egg, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup shredded zucchini. The mixture will be very thick, FYI.
Pour the wet ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients then mix until just combined. Spray or line a 9×5″ loaf pan with nonstick spray or parchment paper, respectively, then bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean and the coffee cake has pulled away from the sides of the pan.
NOTE: check the zucchini coffee cake around the 18-20 minute mark. If it’s already golden brown on top, gently place a piece of foil on top and keep baking to prevent it from getting too brown.
Remove the Gluten-Free Zucchini Coffee Cake from the pan after 15 minutes, then cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing and serving (hahahahahaha, yeah right!) Seriously though, as delicious as this coffee cake is freshly baked and warm, it’s even better after it’s cooled then sat overnight wrapped in plastic wrap. Gooey, dense, and PERFECT. Enjoy!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Gluten-Free Zucchini Coffee Cake
Gluten-Free Zucchini Coffee Cake is dense, just sweet enough, and full of garden-fresh zucchini. Pour yourself a coffee of cup or tea and enjoy!
- 1-1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking mix (I recommend King Arthur’s)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted OR light colored oil (canola, vegetable, avocado, etc)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then spray or line a 9x5” loaf pan with nonstick spray or parchment paper, respectively, and set aside.
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg to a large bowl then whisk to combine. Create a well in the center for the wet ingredients then set aside.
- To another bowl, add sugar, zucchini, egg, and oil then whisk to combine. Pour into the dry ingredients then mix until just combined - batter will be thick. Scoop into prepared loaf pan then bake for 50-60 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the zucchini coffee cake comes out clean and sides have pulled away from the edges of the pan. Note: check zucchini coffee cake around the 18-20 minute mark. If it’s already golden brown on top, place a piece of foil gently on top to prevent further browning.
- Let pan sit on the counter for 15 minutes then transfer zucchini coffee cake to a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing. Store zucchini coffee cake in plastic wrap for 3-4 days on the counter (it's even better the day after it's baked, in my opinion!)
- I recommend King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Mix for this recipe.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.