A few weeks ago I shared the recipe for gluten free Hash Brown Crust Breakfast Pizza on Instagram and it’s been on my mind so much that I decided to post it here on the mothership!
While this audibly crispy breakfast pizza is great any time of day, the hash brown crust topped with chive-laced eggs, tomatoes, and prosciutto makes for the most perfect breakfast or brunch.
Check out this crust!!
Breakfast Pizza with a Hash Brown Crust
Although I do enjoy a good gluten free frozen pizza, or homemade pizza with cauliflower crust, you can’t beat the crunch of a hash brown crust. All you have to do is mix frozen > thawed hash browns with salt, pepper, garlic powder and extra virgin olive oil then press into the bottom of a skillet and bake.
VOILA! Can you even?!
While this particular pizza is geared towards breakfast, the crust is foolproof and able to hold up to any topping combination that pairs well flavor-wise with potatoes.
- Eggs, vegetables, and crumbled feta? A vegetarian dream come true.
- Eggs whisked with herbed cream cheese then topped with smoked salmon and chives? HOLD ME.
- Cheese sauce, broccoli, bacon, and green onions? Count me in.
- BBQ sauce, shredded chicken, caramelized onions and cheese? Sold!
That said, try this recipe at least once as written – the prosciutto warmed from the heat of the pizza is insanely delicious – but feel free to experiment with the crust after you’ve given it a go once or twice. The sky is the limit with this one!
How to Make This Recipe
Start by pressing frozen hash browns that have been thawed between two kitchen towels to remove excess moisture. Add the hash browns to a bowl with extra virgin olive oil, lots of salt, pepper, and garlic powder then mix with a fork to combine.
Press the mixture into the bottom of a 10-11″ oven safe/cast iron skillet that has extra virgin olive oil brushed into the bottom then bake for 22-24 minutes at 425 degrees, or until the crust is light golden brown in the center. Try to resist pushing the hash browns up the side of the skillet vs into an even layer in the bottom, otherwise the sides can burn.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together eggs, salt, pepper, and either 2 Tablespoons freshly chopped chives OR 1 Tablespoon lightly dried chopped chives, like the ones from Gourmet Garden. Drizzle the eggs evenly over the hash brown crust then bake for 1 minute – the eggs won’t be set all the way after the minute is up, FYI.
On top of the eggs sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese plus chopped tomato then bake for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Let the pizza rest in the skillet for a few minutes then slide out onto a cutting board, slice and serve with prosciutto and chopped green onions, or more fresh chives. So easy, right?! I hope you love this CRISPY, totally tasty, gluten free breakfast pizza – enjoy!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Hash Brown Crust Breakfast Pizza
Hash Brown Crust Breakfast Pizza is the answer to your breakfast pizza prayers! This audibly crispy, 1 skillet dish is perfect for brunch or breakfast.
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 10oz frozen shredded hash browns, thawed (I like Ore-Ida)
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 4oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, seeded and chopped
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 1 green onion, chopped OR more chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle 1 Tablespoon oil into the bottom of a 10-11” cast iron/oven-safe skillet then brush to evenly coat. Set aside.
- Firmly press thawed hash browns between two kitchen towels to remove excess moisture then transfer to a bowl with remaining 2 Tablespoons oil, garlic powder, salt (lots!) and pepper then mix with a fork to combine. Pour into prepared skillet then press the hash browns into an even layer in the bottom with your hands. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until crust is light golden brown, rotating the skillet 180 degrees halfway through.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, chives, salt (lots!) and pepper in a small bowl then drizzle evenly over the top of the hash brown crust and bake for 1 minute (eggs will not be totally set). Top with mozzarella cheese and chopped tomatoes then continue baking until cheese is melted and bubbly, 7 minutes. Let the pizza rest for 5 minutes then transfer to a cutting board, slice, and serve with prosciutto and chopped green onions or chives.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.