Rise and shine, it’s breakfast time!
A few weeks ago I mentioned I’ve been making a real effort to eat a proper breakfast each morning and it’s been working wonders for my energy levels. A filling meal with protein, fat, and carbohydrates first thing in the ay em completely sets the tone for a productive day, and if I skip breakfast it feels as though there’s a 10 pound weight on my head. Like a veil of fog is clouding my vision and my face weighs like, 100 pounds. Please tell me you can relate?
Weird facial issues aside, let’s be honest, making breakfast a priority is difficult in the mornings. Inevitably the dishwasher needs to be emptied, Lincoln’s school snack needs packed and he of course needs a healthy breakfast, brewing coffee is a must, and finally it’s vitamins for all. Before long it’s time to load up the car and head out to school, or scoot up to my office for the day. All that to say, quick and easy breakfasts are the name of the game lately and these Breakfast Bowls are not only killing it in the delicious department, but they’re make ahead (reheat in ONE minute!) and freezer-friendly too.
Come. To. MAMA!
Watch How to Make Them!
Have you ever heard the saying “eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper”? I’m digging it. Well, usually breakfast and dinner are both eaten like I’m the Queen of England, but to me a healthy breakfast makes a big difference in how my day goes.
Make-Ahead Breakfast Bowls contain a hearty combination of homemade Potatoes o’ Brien (potatoes with green pepper and onion, y’all, which smell UNBELIEVABLE while roasting!) silky scrambled eggs, freshly shredded cheese, and spicy green onions which are complimented by my favorite egg pairing – tortilla chips and salsa – then served up hot and fresh, or divvied up into individual sized containers to store in the refrigerator or freezer to grab, reheat, and go, all week long. I’ve been making a batch of Breakfast Bowls on Sundays then reheating in the microwave during crazy weekday mornings. They’re super filling and, while I do adore a breakfast of berries, a banana, and homemade walnut butter, I’ll hardly ever turn down something hot and hearty – especially in this weather!
I created these bowls to be vegetarian, but if you’d like a little more protein, go ahead and brown up 3/4lb breakfast sausage or bacon and add them to the bowls. Dice or mash up fresh avocado to add more healthy and satisfying fats to the bowl, and/or snag a tortilla and create your own breakfast burrito with the ingredients. Now go forth, and effortlessly feast on breakfast – as they say, clear eyes, full belly, can’t lose! (Or something like that…)
How to Make Make-Ahead Breakfast Bowls:
Start by chopping 2lb Yukon Gold potatoes, 1 green bell pepper, and 1 large onion into 1″ cubes then adding them to a large sheet pan.
Drizzle the vegetables with extra virgin olive oil then sprinkle on a generous amount of homemade seasoned salt, and pepper. Toss with your hands to evenly coat the vegetables, then transfer half to another sheet pan. This ensures that there’s enough room for the vegetables to roast and get nice and caramelized vs steaming from being crammed together on one sheet pan.
Roast both pans for 30-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown and tender, stirring the vegetables and rotating the pans halfway through. Psst: If you’re lining your pan with foil, be sure to spray them with nonstick spray first – it really makes a difference!
Meanwhile, whisk 12 large eggs with salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Spray a large skillet over medium heat with nonstick spray then add the eggs and scramble until they’re barely cooked through – they should still be a little silky and glossy.
Last stop – assembly! Pile the potatoes and eggs into bowls then top with freshly shredded cheese and chopped green onions. Like I said, I love eggs with tortilla chips and salsa, so I tucked those into my breakfast bowls before eating too. A diced avocado or guacamole would be Heavenly as well!
More Make Ahead Breakfast Recipes
- Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Mini Egg Bites
- High Protein Overnight Oats
- Maple Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole
- Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- Grain Free Granola
- Green Smoothie Muffins
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Make-Ahead Breakfast Bowls
Make-Ahead Breakfast Bowls are full of filling, hearty ingredients to power you through your morning. This vegetarian and gluten-free recipe is also freezer-friendly!
- 2lbs yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1" cubes
- 1 green pepper, seeded then chopped into 1" cubes
- 1 onion, chopped into 1" cubes
- extra virgin olive oil
- homemade gluten-free seasoned salt (see notes for recipe) and pepper
- 12 eggs
- 4oz freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Toppings: avocado, tortilla chips, salsa
- 6 individual-sized tupperware or glass containers with lids
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add potatoes, peppers, and onions to a large sheet pan then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, homemade seasoned salt, and pepper and then toss until evenly coated. Transfer half the vegetables to a second sheet pan then roast both pans for 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and tender, stirring and rotating pans halfway through.
- Meanwhile, crack eggs into a large bowl then season with salt and pepper and whisk until smooth. Heat a large skillet over medium heat then spray with nonstick spray and add eggs. Scramble until the eggs are just barely cooked through and still slightly glossy then scoop onto a plate and set aside.
- Divide the potatoes and eggs evenly between the containers then set aside to cool. Once cool, sprinkle with cheese and green onions then cover and refrigerate. Freeze any portions that aren’t eaten within three days.
- To reheat from frozen: microwave at 50% power for 1-1/2 minutes then stir and continue microwaving until food is reheated, stirring between intervals. Top with optional toppings then serve.
- Leave a comment and star rating if you loved the recipe! Thank you for considering!
- Click here for homemade seasoned salt recipe >
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
How to Freeze and Reheat Breakfast Bowls:
Now, the beauty of these make-ahead breakfast bowls is that they’re perfect to keep in the fridge and freezer for quick and hearty breakfasts all week long. All you’ll need to do is divide the eggs and potatoes between six freezer-friendly containers then allow them to cool slightly. Top with shredded cheese and green onions then snap a lid on top. Store in the fridge for up to three days, or stash in the freezer for 1-2 months.
To reheat from the freezer, microwave the bowls on 50% power for 1-1/2 minutes, stir, and then microwave on full power until heated through, stirring every 30 seconds or so.
Whether you eat these Make-Ahead Breakfast Bowls right away, or reheat each morning, enjoy hours of energy ahead!