Thanksgiving is steeped in tradition for my family. Usually we kick things off by watching the Macy’s parade with cold mimosas in one hand and Cinnamon Rolls in the other before
getting into our annual showdown over playing Scrabble. My Mom’s traditional Thanksgiving dinner feast is eventually served then we all snooze by the fire watching football. Not mad about it!
The men especially don’t last long on cinnamon rolls alone (and need something to soak up all those mimosas!) so before the big meal we fill in the gaps with creamy dips, homemade Chex Mix, and a huge Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole. Holidays, hosting overnight guests, tailgating – whatever the occasion – you will ADORE having this cheesy, hearty breakfast casserole sitting hot and ready on the countertop!
This crock pot breakfast casserole recipe is so good and easy that I plan all our family’s special occasions and get togethers around breakfast/brunch time, just so I can serve this casserole. Birthdays, holidays, you name it – you’re coming over in the morning so I can make this nearly brainless breakfast casserole for you to eat. You’re welcome! ;) You can assemble 99% of the dish a day ahead of time, and there’s only 6 everyday ingredients, plus salt and pepper, required.
Layer frozen hash browns, cooked breakfast sausage, eggs, green onions, and shredded cheese in a crockpot then let ‘er rip. Perfect for throwing together on Thanksgiving morning then cooking on high for 4 hours while everyone gets up and at ’em. You can even cook it on low for 8 hours overnight if the gang’s getting started early!
How To Make Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
Start by spraying a 6-quart crock pot with non-stick spray then spread half a 30oz bag shredded gluten-free hash browns in an even layer on the bottom (I like Ore-Ida.)
Next add a layer of 1/2lb cooked gluten-free breakfast sausage (I like Johnsonville.)
Followed by 4oz each shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
Top with 3 sliced green onions then repeat the hash brown, sausage, and cheese layers one more time.
Finally, whisk a dozen eggs with 1/2 cup milk, salt, and pepper, then drizzle the mixture over the casserole.
Cook for 4 hours on high, or 8 on low, and you’ll have yourself a fluffy, filling breakfast casserole the entire family will love.
Pair each hearty scoop of piping hot casserole with mashed avocado, diced tomatoes, salsa, or as Ben prefers – a slathering of cold ketchup. Hope you enjoy this easy breakfast casserole recipe!
More Breakfast Casserole Recipes
- Sausage Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole >
- Gluten Free Roasted Poblano and Sausage Breakfast Casserole >
- Breakfast Taco Casserole >
- Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole >
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole is the perfect breakfast for feeding a crowd. Hearty and so delicious!
- 30oz bag gluten-free frozen hash browns (I like Ore-Ida)
- 1lb gluten-free sausage, browned & drained (I like Johnsonville)
- 8oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 green onions, sliced and divided in half
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Spray a 6-quart crock pot with non-stick spray then place half the hash browns into the bottom. Layer in half the cooked sausage, half the cheeses, and half the green onions, then repeat hash brown, sausage, and cheese layers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper, then drizzle over top. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours, or until eggs are set. Serve with remaining green onions, salsa, or guacamole.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.