Thanksgiving is steeped in tradition for my family. Every year we kick things off by watching the Macy’s parade with a cold mimosa in one hand and a Cinnamon Roll in the other before losing our minds over an intense game of Scrabble or Hearts. My Mom’s traditional Thanksgiving feast is eventually served then we all snooze by the fire watching football.
Not mad about it!
Before the bubbly is even popped though, each person takes a huge scoop of Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole, which my Mom always has hot, ready, and waiting for when we all start trickling in through the door.
Forget Folgers, the best part of waking up on Thanksgiving day is a scoop of breakfast casserole in your
Whether you’re looking for a hearty breakfast to feed a large group for the holidays, a warming and filling tailgating recipe, or simply a crowd pleasing breakfast to feed the whole family, this slow cooker breakfast casserole is just the dish you’re looking for. It is to die for!!
Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole with hash browns is so good and easy, we plan all our family’s special occasions/get togethers around breakfast/brunch time, just so I can serve it. Birthdays, holidays, you name it – they’re all being celebrated in the morning because this dish is such a crowd pleaser and a cinch to assemble with everyday ingredients.
- Frozen shredded hash browns: I like Ore Ida brand, which are gluten free. No need to thaw them or anything before tossing into the crock pot.
- Breakfast sausage: I like Jimmy Dean brand which, again, is gluten free at the time of this writing. Feel free to use the maple or spicy varieties, though we always go with the classic mild breakfast sausage.
- Shredded cheese: Both shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses ensure that each bite of this breakfast casserole is satisfying and totally irresistible.
- Green onions: Sliced green onions provide a pop of color and flavor to this dish. Some are slow cooked into the egg, hash brown, and cheese layers, while others are scattered on top of your bowl as a fresh finish before digging in.
- Milk: whatever you’ve got on hand.
- Eggs: Can’t have breakfast casserole without it!
- Salt and Pepper.
What Size Crock Pot To Use
As written, this slow cooker breakfast recipe will fill a 6 quart crock pot and feed 8-10 hungry folks. Many people have successfully halved this recipe using a smaller crock pot – you’ll just need to reduce cooking time a bit.
What to Serve with Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
Although it is completely delicious and satisfying all on it’s own, we like to serve Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole with a toppings bar including:
- Chopped fresh green onions
- Bacon bits (what can I say we go big)
- Diced avocado
- Pickled jalapenos
A fresh fruit salad and pan of Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls are always nearby too.
How Long to Slow Cook It
This egg breakfast casserole cooks on LOW for eight hours, or HIGH for 4 hours. I like to assemble/layer the ingredients in the crock the night before our get together, then drizzle the eggs over the top and pop the crock onto the base before turning it on in the morning. Easy!
How To Make Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
Start by spraying a 6-quart crock pot with non stick spray then spread shredded hash browns in an even layer on the bottom. Like I said, I prefer Ore Ida because the quality is so consistent, plus they’re gluten free.
Next add a layer of browned and drained breakfast sausage (I like Jimmy Dean.) You can brown/drain/refrigerate the breakfast sausage several days ahead of time.
The next layer is equal amounts of shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
Followed by a flavorful layer of fresh green onions.
Repeat the hash brown, sausage, and cheese layers one more time then whisk eggs with milk, salt, and pepper and pour the mixture evenly over the casserole.
Pop the lid on top then cook for 4 hours on HIGH, or 8 hours on LOW.
That’s all she wrote! This crockpot breakfast casserole will keep well with the crock pot set to “warm”, and any leftovers you have reheat perfectly in the microwave for day after serving. Whenever and however you serve it, I hope you love this easy, crock pot breakfast casserole recipe – enjoy!
More Breakfast Casserole Recipes You’ll Love
- Roasted Poblano and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Taco Casserole
- Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole
- Sausage Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole is the perfect breakfast recipe to feed a hungry crowd. Cheesy, hearty, and hands OFF!
- 30oz frozen shredded hash browns (I like Ore-Ida)
- 1lb breakfast sausage, browned and drained (I like Jimmy Dean)
- 8oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 green onions, sliced and divided in half
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Spray a 6-quart crock pot with non-stick spray then place half the hash browns into the bottom. Layer in half the cooked sausage, half of each kind of cheese, and half the green onions. Repeat the hash brown, sausage, and cheese layers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper, then pour evenly over the top. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours, or until eggs are set. Serve with remaining green onions, salsa, or guacamole.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.