Copy Cat Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Chicken Burgers are a zesty, fresh twist on chicken for dinner!
A couple weeks ago I was cleaning up some old posts and came across a Trader Joe’s night dinner including Chicken Chili Lime Burgers, which I had loved at the time.
I remember wanting to recreate them at home at some point, and had even typed out the ingredient list from the package so I could come back later and have a shopping list all ready to go.
I’m so glad I did, because last night I came up with a recipe that both Ben and I liked even better than the original. I present to you a zesty twist on a TJ’s fave: Homemade Chili Lime Chicken Burgers. You’ve got to try these!
How to Make Copy Cat Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Chicken Burgers:
For four burgers, you’ll need 1lb ground chicken. I used ground chicken with 5% fat so my burgers would be nice and juicy, but you could use ground chicken breast for a slightly leaner alternative.
Next add 2 chopped green onions, 1/4 cup minced red pepper, and 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro.
Next add 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes, which give the burgers even more zip.
The real hero, though, is the juice of half a lime. It give the burgers a real punch!
Mix all the ingredients together with clean hands, then form the mixture into 4 patties.
You can make these a couple hours ahead of time if need be, just make sure they sit at room temperature for 10 minutes or so before cooking.
Next, heat a skillet or grill pan over high heat. Chili Lime Chicken Burgers are more of an indoor grill vs outdoor grill type of burger, which is just as well because I found out last weekend that the grill Ben and I have been using for the past four years was recalled like 2 years ago for faulty, I don’t know, flame thingies (?) which could set the grill door (or whatever it’s called) on fire. Awesome!
At any rate, spray each side of the burgers very well with non-stick spray, then grill for 3-4 minutes a side, or until cooked all the way through.
When the burgers are nearly cooked on the second side, add a slice of Pepper Jack Cheese, then place a large pot lid on top to allow the cheese to melt.
While the cheese is melting, mix up a batch of Lazy’s Girl’s Guacamole – that’s just 1 avocado mashed with lime juice and garlic salt. The best!
Place the burgers onto a toasted bun then top with guac!
Copy Cat Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Chicken Burgers
Copy Cat Trader Joe's Chili Lime Chicken Burgers are a zesty, fresh twist on chicken for dinner!
- 1lb ground chicken
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 buns, toasted
- For the guacamole:
- 1 avocado
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Combine chicken, green onions, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and juice of half a lime in a large bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined, then form into 4 patties and spray each side generously with non-stick spray.
- Heat a large grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Grill burgers for 3-4 minutes a side, or until cooked all the way through. Place a slice of cheese on top of each burger, then cover with a large pot lid, and allow to melt for about a minute. Remove burgers to a plate, tent with foil, and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Place each burger on a toasted thin bun, then top with guacamole.
- For the guacamole: Mash all ingredients together with a potato masher or fork.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Soooooo much better than I could have even hoped for! Satisfying, filling, and kind of spicy with a cooling touch from the fresh guacamole. Fantastic! I hope you enjoy!