We’ve got a monster winter storm on the horizon – it’s supposed to ice rain for the next 24 hours – so this past weekend I stocked up on some essentials before hunkering down. On the list? Almond milk, eggs, wine… (like I said, the essentials!) plus the ingredients to make a big batch of my Italian Sausage, Spinach and Tomato Soup. It’s the perfect hearty and cozy dish to enjoy when the weather outside is frightful!
Chopped vegetables, ground turkey and ground Italian sausage, canned beans, and a jar of marinara sauce form the base of this flavor-packed soup. And yes, you read that right – a jar of marinara sauce! Adding marinara sauce to soup makes it taste slow-cooked and super savory, but only you and I will know that this recipe goes from fridge to table in just 30 minutes.
If you’re looking a snow or ice storm in the face, dash out for a few ingredients to make a batch for yourself!
How to Make this Recipe:
Start by adding a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to a large soup pot or Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. Add 1/2lb each Italian sausage and ground turkey breast, 2 carrots that have been peeled then chopped, and 1 minced shallot. Season with salt and pepper then saute until the meat is cooked through, breaking it up as it cooks.
Next add a 15oz can cannellini beans that has been drained and rinsed, and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
Just a couple more ingredients! Add 3 cups chicken broth and a 24oz jar marinara sauce then turn the heat up to high to bring the soup up to a boil. The marinara sauce is my secret to giving this soup a rich and slow-cooked flavor without having to simmer it for hours.
Turn the heat down to medium then simmer the soup for 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender, then add 5oz baby spinach that has been roughly chopped and stir until the spinach is tender, about 1 minute.
Soup’s up! Easy, right? Ladle into bowls then serve with a side salad or my personal favorite, bread and butter. Mmm. However you serve it, I hope you love this yummy, soul-warming soup recipe! Enjoy!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Italian Sausage, Spinach and Tomato Soup
Italian Sausage, Spinach and Tomato Soup is a gluten-free soup recipe full of healthy, hearty ingredients. Just 30 minutes from fridge to table!
- extra virgin olive oil
- 8oz Italian sausage (hot or mild)
- 8oz ground turkey breast
- 2 carrots, peeled then chopped small
- 1 shallot, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 15oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 24oz jar marinara sauce
- 3 cups (24oz) chicken broth
- 5oz baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage, ground turkey, carrots, and shallots, season with salt and pepper, then saute until the meat is cooked through, breaking it up as it cooks. Add Italian seasoning, cannellini beans, marinara sauce, and chicken broth then turn heat up to high to bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium then partially cover with a lid and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 minutes. Add baby spinach then stir and cook until wilted, 1-2 minutes, and then serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.