Snomageddan is apparently coming to the Midwest later this week, but for today the sun was shining and the temperatures were mild. Ben and I took a quick zip around the neighborhood this afternoon before I simmered up some Italian Wedding Soup to have in the fridge for when the flurries start flyin’!
I actually posted this recipe for Italian Wedding Soup on the blog about three years ago, but I thought it deserved to be bumped to the top. This recipe is my Mom’s and is one of my very favorite soups ever, ever, ever. It’s so easy to make and tastes absolutely incredible. Plus, while it’s definitely not winning any beauty awards, it’s pretty healthy, too!
How to Make Italian Wedding Soup:
Start by sauteing 1/4 small onion and 2 garlic cloves in 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil until translucent. Next add 1-10oz package frozen –> thawed –> squeezed dry chopped spinach.
Pour in 8 cups (64oz) chicken broth then bring to a boil.
Next add 1/2lb pre-cooked mini meatballs. My grocery store carries these by the ground beef, but you might look for them in the frozen foods section too. If you can’t find mini meatballs, I’d chop regular meatballs into quarters OR make your own. Psst – I also use these mini meatballs in my Spaghetti & Meatball Soup!
Also add 1/2 cup ancini di pepe. This is a small, bead-like pasta. You could really use any small pasta if you can’t find this exact kind for some reason!
Boil until the pasta is cooked then, in a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs + 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese. Slowly drizzle the mixture into the hot soup then cook for one more minute.
Top bowls with a bit more grated parmesan cheese, then serve!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Italian Wedding Soup
Italian Wedding Soup is incredibly satisfying and filling, yet light. One of my all-time favorite soup recipes.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper
- 10oz frozen spinach, thawed & squeezed dry of excess moisture
- 64oz chicken broth
- 1/2 cup ancini di pepe (or other small pasta)
- 1/2lb fully-cooked mini meatballs
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, then saute for 3-4 minutes or until translucent Add garlic then saute for 30 more seconds.
- Add frozen spinach then stir to break up. Add chicken broth then bring to a boil. Once boiling add pasta and meatballs then cook until pasta is al dente, about 8-9 minutes. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and parmesan cheese. Drizzle into soup while stirring constantly then cook for 1 more minute before serving.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Kind of like a mix between egg drop soup, minestrone, and chicken soup – this Italian Wedding Soup will knock your socks off by how easy it is to make, yet how sublime it tastes. YUM!
Well guys, time to kick back and relax for the evening. Have a great rest of your day – and awesome start to your week. See ya’!