Time to jump on the chorizo bandwagon if you haven’t already. Join me on this delicious ride, won’t you?
That is to say, lately I’ve been tossing chorizo into everything from paella to nachos, avocado toasts to dips, plus the Mexican Chorizo, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Rice Skillet I’m sharing with you today. It is SUCH an easy way to add unexpected flavor to an otherwise ho hum dish!
Mexican pork chorizo is a slightly spicy and smoky sausage that’s seasoned with chili powder, garlic, cumin, oregano, and a teensy bit of clove or cinnamon. It’s fantastically unique and pairs perfectly with the flavors in this simple, weeknight-friendly supper that’s made in just one skillet for easy cleanup.
Chopped sweet potatoes and chorizo are sauteed then simmered with black beans, salsa verde, chicken broth, and rice then blanketed with fresh cilantro and devoured as is or with tortilla chips or tortillas. So good and easy too. I’ll show ya!
How to Make this Recipe:
Start by peeling then chopping 1 small sweet potato into 1/2″ cubes – you’ll need 1-1/2 cups total.
Add the sweet potatoes to a large skillet over heat that’s just a touch above medium with 1/2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil then saute until the potatoes are just starting to turn tender, 3-5 minutes. Add 6oz Mexican Pork Chorizo then turn the heat up slightly and saute until cooked through.
This is the brand of chorizo we’ve been buying at the store. As always, check the labels on your chorizo to make sure it’s gluten-free if you need it!
Once the chorizo is cooked through, add 1/2 cup canned black beans that have been drained and rinsed.
Finally add 1-3/4 cup chicken broth and 1/2 cup salsa verde then turn the heat up to bring the liquid to a boil.
Last step is to add 1/2 cup long grain white rice then place a lid on top, turn the heat down, and simmer until the rice is tender, 15-20 minutes.
Sprinkle with tons of chopped cilantro (seriously, it really makes the dish!) then serve!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Mexican Chorizo, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Rice Skillet
Mexican Chorizo, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Rice Skillet is a simple weeknight supper made in just 1 skillet. Filling and packed with flavor!
- 1/2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled then chopped into 1/2” cubes (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 small shallot or 1/4 onion, chopped
- 6oz Mexican Pork Chorizo
- 1/2 cup black beans (1/2 a 15oz can)
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- chopped cilantro
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a large skillet over heat that's just a touch above medium. Add sweet potatoes and shallots then saute for 4-5 minutes, or until potatoes are just starting to turn tender. Add chorizo then turn heat up slightly and saute until cooked through, breaking chorizo up as it cooks.
- Add black beans, chicken broth, and salsa verde to the skillet then turn heat up to bring to a boil. Add rice then stir to combine, place a lid on top, turn heat down, and simmer until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes, adding a splash more chicken broth near the end if needed. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro then serve as is, or with tortilla chips or tortillas, and guacamole.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
We normally eat this dish scooped into bowls then topped with guacamole and extra salsa verde, but it’s also delicious dunked into with crispy tortilla chips. YUM. However you serve it – enjoy!