I kinda sorta don’t want to admit how many Mini BLT Quinoa Cups I ate just now.
Not only is the number too tragically high to verbally confirm, thus making it real, but I don’t even know the exact number because I lost track. I LOST TRACK OF HOW MANY MINI BLT QUINOA CUPS I ATE. Who does that?!
Me, that’s who. And you will too after one warm and savory bite. I don’t even particularly care for BLTs – I always feel like there’s something…missing? – but am going completely cuckoo for these babies.
Based on one of my most popular recipes here on IGE to date, Mini Ham & Cheese Quinoa Cups, Mini BLT Quinoa Cups combine cooked quinoa with salty bacon, chewy spinach, fresh tomato, and melty cheese, in an irresistible twist on the classic BLT sandwich. Plus, check out their sweet, mini size – squee!
Bake these 2-bite Mini BLT Quinoa Cups for a filling breakfast, yummy snack, or to take with you to any party or potluck. Heck, bake ’em on any day that ends in -y because they’re sodanggood, mmkay?
After some prep work including chopping 1/2 cup tomatoes, cooking then chopping 1/2 cup bacon, chopping 1 green onion, and squeezing the excess liquid from 1 cup frozen –> thawed spinach, stir the ingredients together in a big bowl with 2 whole eggs, 3 egg whites, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, and lots of salt & pepper.
Just like that!
Next stir in 2 cups cooked quinoa. To get 2 cups cooked quinoa, rinse 3/4 cup dry quinoa very well in a fine mesh strainer, then simmer in 1-1/2 cups boiling chicken broth for 15 minutes, or until the broth has been absorbed. You could totally use water, but the chicken broth gives the quinoa even more great flavor.
Spray a mini muffin tin VERY well with non-stick spray, then scoop the quinoa mixture into the cups, filling them to the very tip top.
Smooth the tops with the back of a spoon, then bake at 350 degrees for 15-16 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and bubbly.
Let the quinoa cups cool for five minutes then pop them out with a spoon and place them on a cooling rack. You may need to run a knife around the outside of some of them before popping out, FYI.
Good hot, cold, or room temp – you do not want to wait to bake these!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Mini BLT Quinoa Cups
Mini BLT Quinoa Cups are the perfect bite-sized gluten-free snack, breakfast, lunch, or dinner recipe! Easy and healthy.
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth (could use water)
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed then squeezed completely dry
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon (about 8 slices center-cut)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- Rinse quinoa very well in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water. Meanwhile bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan then add rinsed quinoa, place a lid on top, and cook until broth is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove lid and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Add cooked quinoa then stir to combine. Spray mini muffin tins very well with nonstick spray, then fill to the top with quinoa mixture, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Let cool 5 minutes then run a sharp knife around the outside of the cups and pop out with a spoon. Cool completely on a cooling rack. Store in the refrigerator, or freeze then reheat by microwaving for 30 seconds.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
If (that’s a big IF,) you have any leftover after the initial devouring, pop ’em in the fridge or freezer, then reheat in the microwave. I doubt you’ll have the need though!