The near constant dreariness around here is making me regress slightly and crave comfort foods, like the Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo I made for dinner tonight.
Seasoned chicken, steamed broccoli & tender pasta are enveloped in a light-yet-luscious alfredo sauce dreamed up by Courtney at Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life. Love that girl’s recipes!
This is the kind of meal that makes you sit back and sigh with satisfaction when you’re done. Healthy, filling, and indulgent tasting. Seriously yummy stuff!
Start by cooking 8oz short-cut pasta in salted, boiling water. Don’t forget to salt the water with at least a Tablespoon of salt – it makes all the flavor difference in the world. Before draining the pasta, reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water. You’ll use it in a bit.
While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add in a couple cloves of minced garlic, then cook until the garlic turns golden brown, about a minute.
When the garlic is golden brown and fragrant, whisk in 2 Tablespoons flour and cook, whisking constantly, for about another minute.
Next, slowly whisk in 1 cup chicken broth, incorporating it with the flour, then whisk in 1/4 cup milk.
Add 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt plus salt and pepper, then let the sauce bubble until slightly thick and bubbly.
Finally, stir in 3/4 cup parmesan cheese and 2 chopped, cooked chicken breasts.
Add the alfredo sauce and chicken to the cooked pasta, then add in 2 cups cooked broccoli. If you’re smart, you’ll cook the broccoli in with the pasta during the last 3-4 minutes of cooking time. If you’re me, you’ll forget, drain the pasta, then have to steam the broccoli in a separate pan. Blerg! At any rate, add in some of the pasta cooking water at this time if you feel the sauce is too thick, and stir everything together.
This alfredo sauce is creamy, cheesy, silky and decadent. Just like the real thing, but skinny! You could easily make this dish gluten-free by using GF pasta, too!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Skinny Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo
Skinny Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo is everything you love about alfredo, but without all the fat and calories!
- 2 chicken breasts, seasoned with salt & pepper then cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked broccoli
- 8oz rotini
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup milk, any kind
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water before draining. Set aside.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour then whisk to incorporate and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth, then milk. Whisk in Greek yogurt, salt and pepper, then turn the heat down to low and let the mixture simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat off then stir in parmesan cheese, then chicken. Pour over cooked pasta then add broccoli and stir well. Add a little reserved pasta cooking water if sauce is too thick. Serve.
Barely adapted from Celebrations.com
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Although…I’m pretty sure Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo stops being so “skinny” after the second or, cough, third bowl. Worth it!