I’ve been really into making soups on Sundays lately because, I don’t know, it just kind of feels right. What can I say – a big pot of something warm & bubbly simmering on the stove all afternoon, leaving enough leftovers for lunches all week really does it for me. ;)
This week I modified my recipe for Spicy Tomato & Turkey Soup with Ditalini, and made Spaghetti & Meatball Soup.
I almost couldn’t handle the preciousness of this bowl of soup. I mean, mini meatballs floating amongst tiny spaghetti noodles? Too. Freaking. Cute!
Start the Spaghetti & Meatball Soup by shredding carrots, zucchini and onion, and sauteing them in a big soup pot. You don’t have to add veggies to this soup, but I thought they’d be good to bulk it up, and it’s a really easy way to get them into your diet.
Oh, I forgot to mention I shredded the veggies up in THIS! The new 14 Cup Cuisinart Food Processor Ben got me for Christmas. It’s my pride and joy!
After the veggies are soft, add chicken broth and marinara sauce to the pot, and bring it to a boil.
I used local Gino’s Marinara Sauce. It’s amore.
Sprinkle in Italian seasoning, red chili pepper flakes, and the star of the dish, mini meatballs.
My local grocery stores carry locally made Graziano’s mini meatballs, which are fantastic.
Finally, add cut spaghetti, or any small pasta, and simmer until cooked.
5 Secrets to the Coziest Christmas Ever
have your best christmas ever...at home!
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup
Spaghetti and Meatball Soup is a quick and easy soup is made in no time flat. Too fun (and delicious!) to resist.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large carrots or 10 mini carrots, shredded
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 onion, shredded or finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper
- 42oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 24oz marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1lb mini meatballs
- 1 cup dry gluten-free or regular cut spaghetti or other small pasta
- Heat oil in a large soup pot, add vegetables, season with salt & pepper, and saute until soft. Add in chicken broth, marinara sauce, Italian seasoning and red chili pepper flakes and bring to a boil. When boiling, add in meatballs and spaghetti. Simmer until pasta is cooked. Ladle into bowls and top with parmesan cheese, if desired.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
This was fantastic! Gino’s is a little spicy, so the soup had a nice kick, and the mini meatballs and petite spaghetti noodles just made it fun. I kind of felt like a giant, or something?
Since the carrots and zucchini were shredded, and were the same size as the noodles, I felt like I was getting to eat triple the amount of pasta too. It was awesome. Definitely make this!!!