We didn’t get a change to visit our local Farmer’s Market this weekend, but in case YOU did, and have a bunch of veggies to use up, you’ve got to put this Summer Vegetable Gratin on the menu for this week!
Fresh garden finds including zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes are layered on a bed of sauteed shallots spiked with garlic and herbs then baked before being blanketed with freshly grated parmesan cheese. This side dish is simple and timeless. You will be making it every summer for years to come!
Start by sauteing 4 shallots or 2 small sweet onions in 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until tender, 5-7 minutes. Next add 4 minced garlic cloves then saute for 1 more minute, and then stir in 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil and 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme.
Transfer the mixture to a nonstick sprayed baking dish. I used an 11×7″ but I think you could get away with an 8×8″ too!
Next toss 2 medium yellow squash and 1 zucchini, that have been sliced 1/4″ thick, with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper, until everything is well coated.
Then, layer at an angle in rows! Joining the party is 5-6 Roma tomatoes or 4-5 vine-ripened tomatoes sliced 3/4″ thick. The Roma tomatoes at my grocery store were not looking their best when I went to photograph this recipe, so I subbed in small vine-ripened, but Roma’s are very, very good in here. So are vine-ripened though so just pick what looks good to you!
Sprinkle the top with a final flourish of salt and pepper then cover the dish with foil and bake until the vegetables are tender (not mushy!) 30-35 minutes.
Sprinkle 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese on top then pop the dish back in the oven until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly, 10-15 minutes. Let the dish rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
This dish is healthy, GORGEOUS (seriously it’s pretty enough to entertain with but is so simple!) and holy buckets that parmesan cheese is so good with the fresh vegetables. ALL THE PARM! Ahem. Enjoy!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Summer Vegetable Gratin
Summer Vegetable Gratin features layers of fresh summer vegetables blanketed with parmesan cheese then baked. This delicious side dish is fresh and timeless!
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 shallots (or 2 small sweet onions,) chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 5-6 Roma tomatores or 4-5 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced 3/4” thick
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 7x11" baking dish with nonstick spray then set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot or onions, season with salt and pepper, and then saute until softened, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic then saute for 1 more minute. Add fresh basil and thyme then stir to combine. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish then spread into an even layer in the bottom.
- Add sliced zucchini and yellow squash to a large bowl then drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Layer the vegetables in slightly slanted rows until you run out of room or all the vegetables are used up. Season the top with salt and pepper then cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife. Remove foil then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Return to oven uncovered then bake until cheese is golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Let dish sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted slightly from Food Network
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.