Time to get your grilling food fix in the form of Thai Turkey Burgers with Peanut Sauce – which are actually better cooked indoors than out!
Made with lean ground turkey breast, fresh veggies, and a savory peanut sauce, these burgers are hearty, filling and ultra-tasty.
Start the Thai Turkey Burgers by making the peanut sauce that goes into the burger patties AND on top once they’re cooked. Just throw flavorful ingredients like soy sauce or gluten-free tamari, peanut butter, garlic, chili-garlic sauce and ground ginger into a food processor and let ‘er rip.
Save part of the sauce to slather on top of the cooked burgers, and use the rest of it to mix into the burger patties.
Which is what we move to next! Start with 1lb 99% fat-free ground turkey breast then add in shredded carrot and finely chopped broccoli. Since they’re finely shredded/chopped, the veggies will cook perfectly with the burgers.
Add in a sliced green onion, 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro, and the remaining peanut sauce.
Top with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and red chili pepper flakes, then put your rings somewhere safe and mix it all up with yer mitts.
Form the mixture into 4 patties then place on a hot skillet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cook for 3-4 minutes then spray the top with more non-stick spray and flip, cooking for another 3 minutes, or until the turkey is no longer pink in the middle. You could cook these on an outdoor grill, but ground turkey is a little more “wet” than ground beef, so there’s a bigger risk of them falling through the grates.
Toast up some buns, top with a cooked burger patty, 2 teaspoons of the reserved peanut sauce, and some crunchy baby spinach, then dig into the deliciousness!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Thai Turkey Burgers with Peanut Sauce
Thai Turkey Burgers with Peanut Sauce are a delicious twist on plain, dry turkey burgers.
- 1 lb 99% fat-free lean ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 buns
- baby spinach leaves
- For the peanut sauce:
- 3 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Create peanut sauce by combining peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, garlic, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, honey and ground ginger in a food processor or blender. Blend until very smooth. Reserve 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons and set aside.
- Combine remaining peanut sauce with turkey, carrots, broccoli, green onion, cilantro, salt and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Mix well and form into 4 patties. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray. Cook patties for 3-4 minutes on one side, then spray the top with more non-stick spray. Flip and cook for 3-4 more minutes or until burgers are no longer pink in the middle.
- Place a burger patty on each bun and top with 2 teaspoons of the reserved peanut sauce. Add baby spinach for crunch and serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
I HEART this peanut sauce. It is incredibly rich and savory, and goes so well with the light turkey burger which is super moist from the carrots and broccoli added directly into the patty.
As delish as the sauce is, the thing that tickles me the most is the fact that the whole Thai Turkey Burger, including a Sandwich Thin, clocks in at just 350 calories and 10 grams of fat, AND has nearly 40 grams of protein!
Add in freshly steamed broccoli on the side, and you’ve got yourself a winner of a dinner, my friends.