Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons is the perfect light yet satisfying soup recipe. Total comfort food!
Hello, and happy Friday!
For this morning’s segment on KCCI, I shared a recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons. It’s been drizzly and disgusting around here for the past two days, so I thought it’d be perfect for folks to make at home this weekend.
This updated version of the classic soup pairing blends roasted tomatoes with roasted garlic, chicken broth, dried thyme, and red chili pepper flakes which is simmered for just 20 minutes, then scooped into bowls and topped with adorable grilled cheese croutons.
That’s just fancy talk for grilled cheese cut into cubes. ;)
While my brothers happily lapped up the canned and condensed tomato soup of yesteryear, I hated it with a fiery passion. This soup though, is thankfully NOT that soup! It is so delicious and I know you’ll love each roasty, toasty spoonful.
Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons is light yet satisfying comfort food!
- 3lbs Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper (lots)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more or less)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 slices ciabatta bread (or other hearty bread - just not sandwich bread)
- softened butter
- 8 slices cheddar cheese (smoked cheddar is great)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with nonstick spray then line with tomato halves, cut side up. Drizzle tomatoes with extra virgin olive oil then season generously with salt and pepper. Wrap garlic cloves in foil with an extra drizzle of olive oil then place alongside tomatoes. Roast for 1 hour, or until tomatoes are golden brown and very tender. Cool slightly.
- Unwrap garlic cloves then transfer with tomatoes and their juices into a food processor or blender and pulse until tomatoes reach desired consistency (I like mine more smooth than chunky.)
- Pour mixture into a large soup pot then add dried thyme, red pepper flakes, and chicken broth then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Butter one side of each bread slice, then place cheese slices on half the bread on the non-buttered side. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered side out, then cook in a skillet over medium heat until both sides are very crisp and cheese is melted. Remove from heat and let rest for 2 minutes. Cut sandwiches into cubes then divide amongst bowls of soup.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
My plan for the rest of the day is to hunker down and get some office organization done (blerg!) then enjoy the weekend, which is supposed to be much nicer than the rainy, blustery weather we’ve been having. I hope you have a fun weekend in the works, and in the meantime, please enjoy my favorite finds from around the web in this week’s Friday Favorites! :D
Favorite decadence: Pumpkin Ravioli with Hazelnut Brown Butter Sauce and Balsamic Drizzle. I MEAN. Loving the fact that each decadent bite is stuffed inside homemade pasta dough, too!
Favorite bling: Kate Spade “Bourgeois Bow” Stud Earrings. I know…it’s a little early for holiday-themed faves, but I couldn’t help myself. These studs are so adorable!
Favorite breakfast: Pumpkin Breakfast Bake with Streusel Topping. If this tastes half as good as it looks, then we’re all in for a treat. :)
Favorite tune: Ho Hey – The Lumineers. I get giddy every time this song comes on the radio. So sweet!
Favorite DIY: Sweet Potato Tator Tots. Homemade SPTT?! Must try!
Favorite dinner: Quinoa Fried Rice. Love finding new ways to prepare quinoa, especially when they’re Asian themed.
Favorite fashion: Lauren Conrad Kohl’s Holiday 2012 Collection, via LaurenConrad.com. I WANT THIS DRESS!!! The cut out on the side of the skirt is too fab. Edited to add: Kohl’s sent me a promo code to get 10% any purchase at Kohls.com on or before 12/29: TENBLOG
Favorite homemade: Honey Beer Bread. Packaged beer bread is one of my favorite things in the world. The slightly sweet batter bread is AMAZING, and I love that I can now make it at home anytime I want.
Favorite flare: Chevron Infinity Scarf. Banana Republic’s 40% off one item email coupons have been the bane of my existence this week. One purse, pair of boots, sunglasses, and a winter coat later – all separate orders, mind you – I am now in need of a new scarf to pair with my new coat! This cute chevron pattern would give it some flare. :)
Favorite indulge: Baked Potato Skins Mac & Cheese. ALL. THE. THINGS!
Favorite find: Unzipped Candy Dish. How freaking cute is this candy dish?! It’s a glass dish in the shape of an open plastic bag!
Favorite bite: Chai Spiced Glazed Doughnut Muffins. Two of my very favorite things, in one yummy bite.
Favorite upcycle: Cork Trivet. Perfect way to use up my ever growing mound of wine corks. You can never have too many trivets, imo!
Favorite treat: Sweet & Salty Candy Bar Blondies. The goo factor! I can’t even handle it!
Have a great weekend everyone!