Gluten-Free Breakfast Casserole is a hearty and crowd-pleasing breakfast recipe. Prepped in minutes then baked until golden brown and bubbly!
Raise your hand if you like hot breakfasts! Raise the other if you like ’em easy to prepare! And crowd-pleasing! And hearty, and cheesy, and prefect for the holidaysss…..ok we’ve run out of limbs.
The past several years I’ve skirted around creating new recipes for Thanksgiving because, as I mentioned on Wednesday, most of the people I know, including my family, don’t change their menu up a whole lot from year to year. There’s millions (literally, Google that ish,) of delicious turkey, mashed potato, and cranberry sauce recipes out there on the interwebs so instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I prefer to pave the road under it with supplemental recipes for the rest of the holiday. I feel like I’ve been wanting to explain that for years now.
Case in insane point, breakfast! How many of you crave something above and beyond your typical yogurt, oatmeal or, more likely, cereal breakfast on Thanksgiving morning? Something you can savor by a crackling fire. No work to be done. Family and friends to enjoy. Macy’s parade on TV showcasing singers you’ve never heard of. Seriously, are those people legit entertainers, or am I just getting too old to recognize the current cool cats of showbiz?
I think “cool cats” says it all.
Anyway, feed said craving with a hot and hearty Gluten-Free Breakfast Casserole for Thanksgiving this year.
Frozen hash browns marry with browned sausage and shallots, eggs, sharp cheddar cheese, and tangy sour cream to create a crowd-pleasing breakfast casserole that’s perfect for gluten-free and non-gluten-free eaters alike. This recipe is b e y o n d simple and simply delicious.
I kept the ingredient list low to minimize fuss – especially if you’re making this for Thanksgiving and have a lot of cooking ahead of you later that day. That said, feel free to jazz it up by adding sauteed mushrooms, using maple sausage instead of regular, green onions instead of shallots, smoked cheddar instead of sharp – you get the idea. Top your portion with salsa, guacamole, and a dash or 10 of hot sauce. Regardless, this recipe will appeal to everyone’s craving for a hot and special holiday breakfast!
Start by browning 1lb pork sausage and 1 chopped shallot (or a small onion) in large skillet over medium-high heat. This can be done the night before to save time!
Set the sausage aside to cool slightly while you whisk 6 eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a very large bowl. Next add 8oz sour cream, and 3/4 cup milk (any kind) then whisk until smooth.
Finally, add the browned sausage, 6oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and 4 cups (about 20oz) frozen then thawed shredded hash browns then give everything a good stir to coat. If the mixture seems a little too dry, which another one or two eggs with a splash of milk then add that in.
Pour the mixture into a nonstick sprayed 9×13″ baking dish then sprinkle with an additional 2oz cheddar cheese (you’ll need one 8oz block for the whole recipe.) Cover the dish with foil then pop it into a 350 degree preheated oven and bake for 1 hour, to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the center is set and cooked through. Remove the foil then bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
Let the gluten-free breakfast casserole sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving!
Gluten-Free Breakfast Casserole
Gluten-Free Breakfast Casserole is hearty and crowd-pleasing. Prepped in minutes then baked until golden brown and bubbly!
- 1lb pork sausage
- 1 large shallot or 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8oz sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 8oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 cups (about 20oz,) frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then spray a 9x13" baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside. Brown sausage with shallot in a large skillet over medium-high heat then drain if desired and set aside to cool slightly (can be done ahead of time.)
- Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper in a very large bowl, add sour cream and milk, and then whisk until smooth. Add 3/4 of the shredded cheese (about 6oz,) the cooked sausage, and thawed hash browns to the bowl then stir to combine. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish then smooth with a spatula until liquid is evenly distributed. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top then cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove foil then bake for 5 more minutes or until top is golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- If the mixture seems a little too dry before pouring into the casserole dish, add another one or two eggs whisked with milk.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
We’ve been eating gluten-free breakfast casserole as leftovers for a few days around here and it reheats beautifully after a minute or two in the microwave. Hope you all enjoy!