Serve these super-cute, ultra-delicious, cheese stuffed meatball sliders for the big game, or a fun weeknight dinner!
Cheese Stuffed Meatball Sliders
Makes 16 sliders
2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, divided
2lbs 90/10 ground beef
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, microplaned or finely minced
3 mozzarella string cheese sticks, each cut into 6 pieces (for a total of 18 pieces)
24oz jar marinara sauce
8 slices provolone cheese, thinly sliced
16 cocktail buns
- Preheat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Combine ground beef, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic in a large bowl. Mix to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Shape meatball mixture into 16 balls, making an indent in the middle of each ball and pushing a piece of mozzarella cheese into the middle. Seal the meat around the cheese completely.
- Place half the meatballs into the hot skillet and sauté until golden brown on one side, about 2-3 minutes. Flip the meatballs and brown on the other side. Meatballs do not need to cook all the way through. Remove to a plate. Re-heat the pan with the remaining oil and cook the second half of the meatballs. Return all the meatballs to the skillet.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and pour the marinara sauce into the skillet. Place a lid on top and simmer for 15 minutes, spooning the marinara sauce over the meatballs every so often to keep them moist.
- Cut each slice of provolone cheese in half. Place a cooked meatball onto a bun, and top with provolone cheese.