If you had to decide between eating only sweet foods or only savory foods for the rest of your life, which would you pick?
Prior to going sugar free I was 100% Team Sweet. In fact I had a ride or die favorite in every category. Chocolate: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, specifically in holiday shapes (better peanut butter to chocolate ratio.) Fruity: Grape Laffy Taffy (the big bars vs the mini ones, which taste like a completely different product – dislike!) Other: Australian licorice.
I need a hobby.
Anyway, these days I am ALL about savory flavors. For better or worse, nothing gets my tastebuds tingling like the thought of pickles, prosciutto, and White Cheddar BoomChickaPuffs. Holy (gluten-free) cannoli, have you tried? Like healthier Cheetos puffs. Upgrade!
20 Minute Company Chicken, the easy yet elegant recipe I’m sharing with you today, falls firmly in the savory category, though no matter where you stand on the sweet vs savory debate, I’m confident you’ll lick every last drop of this dish off your plate!
Company Chicken, as I’m calling this 20 minute, one skillet dish, is easy enough to make any night of the week, but so elegant and impressive that you’ll want to serve it for dinner the next time company comes a-callin’ – because if you’re anything like me, the moment you realize you have to cook for someone other than your immediate family members you begin to panic. Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered!
Picture Company Chicken as kicked up Chicken Picatta. Simply seasoned chicken breasts are sauteed then drizzled with a luscious, ultra-savory pan sauce made from garlic, chopped prosciutto, chicken broth, butter, capers, and fresh lemon juice that’s soaked up by a bed of pasta or rice pilaf served underneath. SO simple, yet a beautiful plate of food that you’ll still be thinking about days later.
I’ve heard from tons of people who’ve bought my Gluten-Free for Beginners ebook say they purchased it to safely cook for their friends or family members that have Celiac Disease or a gluten intolerance. If you are in a similar position, needing to entertain or cook for someone who’s gluten-free, this is a knock out dish that everyone is going to love, regardless of if their bodies hate gluten. Just make sure you’re using gluten-free chicken broth (these days many if not most brands ARE,) and gluten-free capers (Mezzetta brand is gluten-free.) The rest should be smooth, delicious sailing!
How to Make This Recipe
Start by sauteing 4 chicken breasts (or slice 2 chicken breasts in half to create 4 cutlets,) that have been pounded thin and seasoned with homemade gluten-free seasoned salt and pepper in a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil for 3-4 minutes a side, or until cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate then cover with foil to keep warm.
Turn the heat down to medium then add another drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to the skillet and saute minced shallots until golden brown, about 1 minute. Next add chopped prosciutto then saute until crisp, 3-4 minutes, and then add minced garlic and saute for 30 more seconds.
Pour low-sodium chicken broth into the skillet then add butter and simmer until the sauce has reduced and thickened, 3-4 minutes. (This is about the time that you’ll be going absolutely nuts over the scent wafting from the skillet!)
Last step is to stir in capers and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice (start with a little – you can always add more) then stir to combine.
I like to plate the chicken over a bed of gluten-free pasta or rice pilaf, which soaks up all the delectable sauce (YUM!!!!) and serve roasted asparagus and a fresh salad alongside. I suppose it doesn’t really matter what you serve this chicken with, as the sauce totally steals the show.
Easy, absolutely luscious, and as the name implies, totally company-worthy. Or date night-worthy, or any day ending in -ay-worthy…you get it. Enjoy!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
20 Minute Company Chicken
20 Minute Company Chicken is an easy yet elegant, chicken breast recipe that's ready in just 20 minutes. Perfect for entertaining!
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- homemade seasoned salt (see notes for recipe) and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallot
- 3oz prosciutto, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons butter or ghee
- 2 Tablespoons capers (Mezetti are GF)
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat then spray with nonstick spray. Season chicken breasts on both sides with seasoned salt and pepper then saute for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate then tent loosely with foil and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium (remove skillet from heat to cool for a couple minutes if using a cast iron skillet like the one pictured,) then add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to the skillet. Add shallots then saute until golden brown, 1 minute. Add prosciutto then saute until crisp, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic then saute for 30 more seconds. Add broth and butter then simmer until sauce has reduced and slightly thickened, 3-4 minutes. Add capers and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, then plate chicken and serve sauce on top.
- Click here for homemade gluten-free seasoned salt recipe >
- Serve this dish with cooked pasta or rice pilaf, and a roasted vegetable for a complete meal.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.