With Christmas coming up and ham – GLORIOUS HAM! – being served at the holiday dinner table, I thought this was the perfect time to create a ham and broccoli-cheddar version of my super popular Cheesy Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice recipe!
This is a dish you can make with holiday leftovers but will continue to add to your weekly menu all year round because it’s so simple and delicious. Plus, if the Cheesy Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice was a little spicy for your tastebuds, the mild broccoli-cheddar version will leave you licking your plate clean. Heck, you can even leave the ham out if you like – the cheesy broccoli rice makes an awesome side dish too.
Now, this recipe tastes like one of those horribly delicious yet salt and preservative-packed rice side packets that everyone secretly loves, except it’s made with 5 simple ingredients: chicken broth, rice, broccoli, ham, and cheddar cheese. Creamy, perfectly cheesy, and reheats like a dream.
Who’s ready to get after it?!
Start by combining 1 cup long grain white rice in a saucepan with 2-1/2 cups chicken broth. Bring to a simmer then place a lid on top, turn the heat down to low, and cook for 6 minutes. Add 6oz broccoli that’s been chopped into small florets then replace the lid and cook for another 9-10 minutes, or until the rice and broccoli are both cooked through.
Next sprinkle in 6oz freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese (skip pre-grated cheese – freshly grated melts so much better!) then stir until smooth. Finally add 8oz ham steak that’s been chopped into bite-sized pieces then stir until warmed through.
That’s all she wrote my friend! Let the rice sit and thicken for a few minutes before scooping onto plates and devouring. I hope you love this easy, cheesy, 1 pot meal – enjoy!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
5-Ingredient Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Rice Skillet
5-Ingredient Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Rice Skillet is a 1 pan, 20 minute, gluten-free dinner recipe that will leave you licking your plate clean!
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 6oz broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 8oz ham steak, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 6oz freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Add chicken broth and rice to a 2-1/2 - 3 quart saucepan then turn heat to high and bring to a simmer. Turn heat down to low then place a lid on top and simmer for 6 minutes (rice should barely be simmering so make sure heat is not too high.)
- Add broccoli (no need to stir) then place the lid back on top, turn heat up to keep broth at a gentle simmer, and then cook for an additional 9-10 more minutes or until the rice and broccoli are cooked through. Turn off heat then sprinkle in cheese and stir until completely melted. Stir in ham until warmed through, then serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.