Creamy Chicken and Herb Skillet is a crowd-pleasing, 15 minute chicken dinner recipe that's easy to whip up any night of the week!
I’ve got a total Monday meal for you today.
You know how it goes on Monday evenings. Work’s been a bear and by the time dinner rolls around, cooking something elaborate pretty much sounds like the most awful thing on the planet (who, me? Dramatic?) Enter Creamy Chicken & Herb Skillet.
This meal takes just 1 skillet and 15 minutes to make, and while you might have to stop by the store for 1 or 2 ingredients, I bet you’ve already got the rest on hand.
Chicken breasts are simply seasoned and sauteed then drizzled with a pan sauce made from spreadable herb cheese, chicken broth, lemon juice, and fresh herbs. This is a an awesome meal for springtime, or any season really, but the bright, herby flavors taste especially delicious around this time of year.
I’ve really gotten into using fresh herbs over the past year or so, as they’re a fantastic way to add lots of flavor to a dish for nearly no extra fat nor calories. Did you plant any herbs this spring? I’ve got oregano, sage, basil, thyme, and chives workin’ away!
Start the Creamy Chicken & Herb Skillet by sauteing 1lb chicken breasts that have been brushed with extra virgin olive oil and seasoned with salt & pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked all the way through. Remove to plate then set aside.
Turn the heat down to medium then, in the same skillet, saute 1 large minced shallot in 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil until softened, about 1 minute.
Next add 5oz spreadable herb cheese to the skillet.
I used Boursin spreadable cheese, but Laughing Cow or even herbed goat cheese would be fantastic. I love this stuff as it’s pre-seasoned and adds TONS of flavor to the dish for nearly no effort.
Next add 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice to the skillet.
Finally add 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped herbs and stir until smooth. I used chopped tarragon, but feel free to use any herb like basil, parsley, or chives. It really reawakens the herb flavor already in the cheese.
Place the chicken breasts onto plates then spoon the creamy herb sauce over the top. Pair with a veggie side, or piece of crusty bread, then serve!
Creamy Chicken and Herb Skillet
Creamy Chicken and Herb Skillet is a crowd-pleasing, 15 minute chicken dinner recipe!
- 1lb chicken breasts, pounded thin
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 5oz gluten-free spreadable herb cheese (like Boursin or Laughing Cow)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 small lemon)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, or basil, or parsley, or chives
- Brush both sides of chicken breasts with extra virgin olive oil then season both sides with salt and pepper. Cook in an olive oil or nonstick sprayed skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink in the center then remove to a plate and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium then add extra virgin olive oil and shallots. Saute until shallots are slightly softened, about 1 minute, then add herb cheese, chicken broth, and lemon juice. Stir until creamy then add in fresh herbs. Spoon sauce over cooked chicken then serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
I served my creamy herb chicken with sauteed zucchini on the side. This is a summer staple for Ben and me – so glad it’s back!
All I did was cut a zucchini into thin slices, toss with extra virgin olive oil and McCormik’s Grill-Mates Veggie seasoning blend, then saute for 4-5 minutes in a hot skillet until softened.
Light, quick, and easy. Have a great week!