Crock Pot Thai Chicken is a 3 ingredient crock pot dish that’s as easy as they come!
Hello, and happy Monday!
This was one of the best weekends in awhile as we had nothing on the agenda. When life gets crazy, a free weekend is like a rare jewel to be treasured and polished. Or maybe just treasured. I got so much done these past two days! So I guess it actually wasn’t free… Isn’t that funny? Even when there’s nothing scheduled we still find ways to fill the time with chores, errands, etc. Such is life!
Anyway, it was also Ben’s birthday weekend and instead of going out for dinner or drinks he decided he wanted to cook at home all day Saturday. Super random, but also fine by me! Yum, yum. : )
After running out to buy a pasta roller, he spent a few hours rolling and cutting fresh pappardelle pasta to pair with a bolognese sauce full of veggies, pancetta, red wine, fresh rosemary, beef, and pork that he simmered on the stove top all afternoon. (Recipe from his brain – I don’t know how he does it!)
Lincoln was as nervous as his Dad was to see how it’d turn out…
Total success! The slow-cooked sauce was packed with flavor, and you really can’t beat the taste and texture of homemade pasta. Go Ben!
Sunday the boys packed up and headed out to brunch while I worked, then we spent the afternoon at a friend’s house watching football and chowing on Cheeseburger Dip. Think I’ll recreate for ya’ soon.
While the boys were away, I popped the ingredients for Crock Pot Thai Chicken in the crock pot so it’d be ready for dinner after we returned from Sunday funday.
THREE ingredients including a Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette, light coconut milk, and chicken breasts are tossed together in the crock pot, slow cooked all day, and then served over coconut rice. This dish tasted like the islands and could not be simpler.
Like I said – just three ingredients!
Besides 1-1/2lbs chicken breasts, you’ll need 3/4 cup each Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette and Light Coconut Milk, both of which I got at Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have a TJ’s near you, any Asian peanut vinaigrette or even a similar marinade would work instead.
Add all the ingredients to a 5.5 – 6 quart crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours, or until the chicken is very tender.
When the chicken has about 20 minutes to go, make a batch of Coconut Rice to go underneath. This rice is MA JAM. Ben, who hates all things coconut, is even a fan of this stuff. Start by sauteing 1 chopped green onion, 1 minced garlic clove, and 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme) in 1 Tablespoon coconut oil until tender. Then add 1 cup each light coconut milk and water.
This recipe is great because between the chicken and rice you only need 1 can of light coconut milk!
Bring the liquid to a boil then add 1 cup long grain white rice, pop a lid on top, turn the heat down, and then simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is fluffy, about 15 minutes.
Add a big ‘ol scoop of coconut rice onto a plate then top with a couple pieces of slow cooked chicken and chopped peanuts. Drizzle a bit of the cooking liquid over everything then dig in!
Crock Pot Thai Chicken
Crock Pot Thai Chicken is a 3 ingredient crock pot dish that's as easy as they come!
- 1-1/2lbs chicken breasts
- 1-14oz can lite coconut milk, divided
- 3/4 cup Trader Joe's Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette (or something similar)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- chopped salted peanuts, optional
- Cut chicken breasts in half then lay in the bottom of a 5.5 - 6 quart crock pot. Add 3/4 cup coconut milk and 3/4 cup spicy peanut vinaigrette on top then lift chicken breasts to get liquid underneath. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours, or until very tender.
- When chicken has 20 minutes left, make Coconut Rice. Heat coconut oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add green onion, garlic, and thyme then saute until tender, 2 minutes. Add remaining coconut milk (1 cup,) water, and salt then bring to a boil. Add rice, place a lid on top, then turn heat down to medium-low and simmer until rice is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Scoop rice onto plates then top with chicken and drizzle cooking liquid on top. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, if desired, then serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Fresh and tropical tasting, I almost which I had a juicy mango to chop and sprinkle on top. MMM! Hope you enjoy this easy crock pot meal!