Can we talk about the easiest crock pot recipe there ever was? Crock Pot BBQ Chicken with Homemade BBQ Sauce is where it’s at!
Chicken breasts are placed into a crock pot, drizzled with an easy homemade BBQ sauce then…cooked! Bet you didn’t see that coming. ;) Shred said cooked chicken then use in everything from sandwiches, like I’m showing here, to nachos, wraps, quesadillas, or salads.
I get asked about summer crock pot recipes all the time, and this recipe definitely fits the bill. What’s more summery than BBQ Chicken made in a crock pot so there’s no heating up your kitchen or grill? Plus, by letting the crock pot do the work for you, you’ll have more time to spend outdoors.
The homemade BBQ sauce the chicken cooks in is totally easy, too. It’s a bit tangy, spicy, and not too sweet but if you’re just not feeling up to the task you could use your favorite bottled ‘Q too. Whatever gets you eating faster!
Can I Use Frozen Chicken Breasts in the Crock Pot?
The USDA advises that you DO NOT cook chicken breasts from frozen in the crock pot, which is a guideline that I follow. That said, make sure your chicken breasts are fully thawed if frozen prior to making this recipe.
Alrighty – let’s (slow) cook!
How to Make This Recipe:
Start by mixing up that BBQ sauce made with 100% fridge and pantry staples (thanks, well-stocked kitchen!) The ingredient list might look long but I bet you have all of the ingredients, including ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, spices, and vinegar already on hand. You could absolutely make this a few days ahead of time too!
Place 2lbs chicken breasts into the bottom of a 6-quart crock pot then pour 1-1/4 cups of the sauce on top, lifting each chicken breast to make sure some of the sauce gets underneath.
Pop a lid on top of the crock pot then cook on low for four hours or until the chicken easily shreds with a fork. Totally succulent! Shred the chicken then slide it back into the cooking juices to cook for 30 more minutes on low.
When you’re ready to rock, mix the chicken with the remaining sauce then serve on sandwiches, on top of nachos, or in Ben’s #1 favorite meal, BBQ Chicken Quesadillas!
- BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes >
- Crock Pot Peach and Bourbon Pulled Pork >
- BBQ, Avocado, Bacon and Cheddar Chicken >
- Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken Sammies with Crunchy Apple Slaw >
- BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad >
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Crock Pot BBQ Chicken with Homemade BBQ Sauce
Crock Pot BBQ Chicken with Homemade BBQ Sauce is easy and luscious. Use the shredded chicken in sandwiches, nachos, wraps, and more!
- 2lbs chicken breasts
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (or more or less,) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Place chicken in the bottom of a 6-quart crock pot. Whisk together remaining ingredients in a large bowl then reserve 3/4 cup and pour the rest over the chicken. Lift each chicken breast to make sure some of the sauce has gotten underneath then place a lid on top and cook on low for 4 hours or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork. Shred chicken then return to the crock pot and cook on low for 30 minutes. Transfer shredded chicken to a separate container then mix with reserved BBQ sauce and serve.
- Here is the crock pot I have >
- You could use 2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce instead of the homemade sauce.
- The USDA recommends thawing meat before cooking it in the crock pot.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.