Are you ready for some meeeeatballllls??
Who’s excited for the Super Bowl next weekend (or rather, the food and commercials!?) I don’t follow the two teams going head to head, though Ben informed me that the coaches are brothers. Brothers! Can you imagine competing against your sibling for the title of best football team in America?
The biggest thing my brothers compete over is who can drink the most eggnog before waving the white flag, or…worse…every Christmas during their annual Nog-Off. Don’t they feel silly now! (Now?)
Anyways, Super Bowl Sunday is notorious for extravagant, heavy spreads, and while I’m all for an occasional indulgence, it’s nice to have something that tastes naughty, but is actually fairly nice to snack on during the big game, like Feta-Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs.
Full of that signature flavor and spice, yet made with low-fat ground chicken and bold seasonings, Feta-Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs will be the first app to go on your Super Bowl spread!
Start by grating 1/4 small red onion into a large bowl, then adding 2 garlic cloves that have been microplaned or minced.
Next add 1 egg white, and 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs. Panko bread crumbs are light and airy vs regular breadcrumbs which are dense and heavy, and keep these meatballs perfectly light. To make this recipe gluten-free, use crushed Rice Chex instead!
Add 1 tablespoon Ranch Dip Mix, then stir everything together with a fork.
Finally, add 1lb lean, ground chicken breast then mix everything together with your hands until just combined (don’t over-mix or the meat will become tough.) Divide the chicken mixture into 4 sections, then divide each section in half, to form 8 sections.
Form 2 meatballs out of each section, then stuff 1/2″ cube feta cheese (could use bleu cheese crumbles – I loathe me some stinky cheese, though!) into the center, then close the chicken around it.
Place the meatballs onto a nonstick-sprayed cooling rack set on top of a foil-lined baking sheet, then bake for 16-18 minutes, or until cooked all the way through.
While the meatballs are doin’ their thang, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-heat, then add 1 cup Frank’s Buffalo Sauce. The one and only!
Keep the sauce warm over low heat, then add the meatballs when they’re done, and use a spoon to coat.
Keep the meatballs warm in the skillet, or transfer to a small crock pot. Serve with toothpicks and dig in!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Feta-Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Feta-Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs are full of flavor and spice, and will be the first appetizer to go at your next party or get-together!
- 1lb ground chicken breast
- 1/4 small red onion, grated or minced
- 2 gloves garlic, microplaned or minced
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs or crushed Rice Chex to make gluten free
- 1 tablespoon powdered Ranch Dip mix
- 4oz block feta cheese, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup buffalo wing sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Stir together red onion, garlic, egg white, bread crumbs, and ranch dip mix in a large bowl. Add ground chicken then mix until just combined. Divide mixture into quarters, then each quarter into 4 balls. Press a cube of feta into the center of each ball then close mixture around cheese to seal. Place meatballs onto a non-stick sprayed cooling rack set on top of a baking sheet, then bake for 16-18 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat then add buffalo wing sauce and stir to combine. Add cooked meatballs to skillet then use a spoon to coat in sauce. Place a lid on top and turn heat to low to keep warm.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Moist, spicy, and perfectly poppable, you’ll want to make a double batch of these Feta-Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs. They’re absolutely addicting!
Try these other Super Bowl-friendly eats next weekend!
Roasted Jalapeno Popper Potato Skins
Almond-Stuffed Bacon-Wrapped Dates
Caprese Skewers with Balsamic Drizzle
Buffalo Chicken Poppers with Avocado Bleu Cheese Dip
Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries