We’ve hit the perfect portion of summer where the days aren’t too hot, the nights are deliciously long, and picnics, BBQs, and potlucks are on tap nearly every single weekend. Today I’m sharing a recipe that would be perfect to bring along – Italian Chickpea Salad!
Don’t get me wrong, this easy, vegetarian salad recipe will be a hit no matter what time of year you make it, but the combination of fresh vegetables and herbs make it especially summer-friendly. Best of all, this chickpea salad recipe takes about 10 minutes to assemble and can be made ahead of time, too!
Simply combine canned chickpeas with chopped tomatoes, green pepper, red onion, capers, a TON of chopped fresh basil, and homemade or store-bought Italian dressing then toss to combine. This is the BEST little salad recipe! It’s all about the capers and fresh basil. I promise people will be asking you for the recipe and please – take ALL the credit.
Italian Chickpea Salad also makes an excellent base for mason jar salads. Spoon into the bottom of 5 or 6 mason jars along with a little extra dressing then top with mixed greens – boom, healthy lunches, all week long!
Let me know if you give it a try?
How to Make This Recipe
Like I said, this salad couldn’t be simpler. To a large bowl add a 15oz can chickpeas that have been drained and rinsed, chopped green pepper, chopped roma tomatoes, minced red onion, drained capers, and chopped fresh basil.
Next, shake up an Italian dressing to toss the salad with. You can use your favorite store-bought dressing, but I’m partial to my Best-Ever Italian Vinaigrette. The combination of apple cider and white wine vinegar, dijon mustard and honey, plus herbs and spices like dried marjoram and oregano, goes with just about everything. It’s got just the right amount of tang.
Drizzle your desired amount of dressing over the top – I used about 1/3 cup – then season to taste with salt and dried oregano. Toss to combine then stash in the fridge until it’s time to eat! If you want to prep this salad ahead of time, leave the tomatoes and basil out of the mix then add right before serving. I hope you love this healthy, filling salad recipe – enjoy!
- Greek Chickpea Salad >
- Napa Sweet Corn Salad >
- BLT Egg Salad Jars >
- Apple, Cranberry, Almond Mason Jar Salads >
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Italian Chickpea Salad
Italian Chickpea Salad is a simple, vegetarian salad recipe that's full of fresh and healthy ingredients. Perfect for parties and potlucks!
- 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons drained capers
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup gluten-free Italian dressing (see notes)
- big pinch dried oregano
- Add chickpeas through Italian dressing to a large bowl then season to taste with salt and dried oregano. Toss to combine then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make ahead: combine all ingredients except tomatoes and basil in a large bowl and refrigerate. Add tomatoes and basil before serving.
- I love my Best-Ever Italian Vinaigrette for this salad.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.