Thought I’d hare a little kitchen/life hack with you today – Large Batch Homemade Taco Seasoning.
Since the majority of store-bought taco seasoning mixes include thickeners, which often contain gluten, I’ve been making my own single-serving homemade taco seasoning for the last several years. Recently, though, I realized I could save a ton of time if I didn’t have to take out 8 spice jars every time we have taco night and thus, Large Batch Homemade Taco Seasoning was born!
I mixed and multiplied until the flavors were just right, and now have a HIUGE jar of pre-made homemade taco seasoning mix that’s not only gluten free, but free of artificial colors, flavors, and anti-caking agents, too. Plus it’s preservative-free. You know what we call that? An UPGRADE!
Use Homemade Taco Seasoning in These Recipes
- Cheesy Chicken Burrito Skillet >
- Taco Chili >
- Mini Taco Meatloaf >
- Beef Taco Bowls >
- Homemade Crunchy Taco Hamburger Helper >
- Cheesy Taco Soup >
- Restaurant-Style Chicken Tortilla Soup >
This taco seasoning blend is medium in heat. If you prefer a spicier taco seasoning mix, use spicy chili powder and/or add up to 2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes. If you want a mild mix, use mild chili powder (Tone’s has a mild chili powder which is what I use.)
How to Make This Recipe
All you have to do is add spice cupboard staples to a jar, then shake it up. I love using mason jars, but a Tupperware container would work just fine too.
Chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano – then shake. That’s it!
How to Use It:
To use the seasoning mix, brown 1lb ground meat then add 2 – 2-1/2 Tablespoons seasoning with 1/3 cup broth or water, then simmer until the liquid has thickened and reduced, 1-2 minutes. Easy. As. That. Enjoy this little way to make life a lot easier!
- Homemade Restaurant Style Salsa
- Homemade Seasoned Salt
- Homemade Italian Sausage
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Large Batch Homemade Taco Seasoning
Large Batch Homemade Taco Seasoning is a cinch to prepare and ready when you are for taco night! Free from gluten, dairy, artificial flavors and colors, and preservatives.
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon finely ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Mix all ingredients together then store in an airtight container or jar with a tight fitting lid.
- To use: brown 1lb ground meat then add 2 - 2-1/2 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix plus 1/3 cup broth or water and simmer until liquid has thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- This taco seasoning blend is medium in heat as written. Add up to 2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes and/or use spicy chili powder for a spicier blend. For a mild blend, use mild chili powder.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.