If you’ve had a busy week and haven’t made it to the grocery store, I’ve got a winner of a ground beef dinner recipe which I can almost guarantee you’ve already got all the ingredients on hand to make!
Homemade Crunchy Taco Hamburger Helper is ready in 30 minutes, made in 1 skillet, and uses fridge and pantry staples. The recipe calls for just 7 ingredients compared to the boxed version’s 27 (I counted!)
Watch How to Make It
If you’ve been reading IGE for any length of time then you know that one of my favorite things to do is remake processed, packaged foods like Taco Seasoning, Ranch Dressing, and Seasoned Salt to make them healthier at home. Well, today Homemade Crunchy Taco Hamburger Helper is joining the ranks. Heck it may even be the new captain.
Ok, that was cheesier than this dish, which actually doesn’t have that much cheese and is still yummy even if you want to leave it out. Ground beef is seasoned with homemade taco seasoning then simmered with long grain white rice and chicken broth until tender. Freshly shredded cheddar cheese is stirred in at the end then the whole dish is topped with taco-inspired toppings like salsa, avocado, green onions, and crushed tortilla chips.
If your family likes quick, easy and satisfying meals, then they will absolutely gobble this one up!
How to Make this Recipe
Start by browning ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat with chopped shallot or onion. Drain then return to the skillet.
Next sprinkle in taco seasoning (either this single packet recipe, or 1-1/2 Tablespoons of my large batch taco seasoning, or a taco seasoning packet). Add the whole thing but don’t use the water that’s called for in the seasoning recipe or on the packet.
Next add your favorite salsa plus chicken broth then turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil.
Once boiling stir in long-grain white rice then place a lid on top, turn the heat down to low, and cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is nearly absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat then stir in shredded sharp cheddar cheese until creamy and melted. Place a lid on top then let the rice continue to steam for 5 minutes.
When time is up, scoop the homemade taco hamburger helper onto plates then add your toppings and dig in. Just think of how much better you’ll feel serving this hearty, totally yummy meal to your friends or family knowing it didn’t come from a preservative-filled box, right? And it was so easy, too – like I said, 30 minutes from start to finish. Enjoy!
More One Pan Dinner Recipes You’ll Love
- Beef and Veggie Enchilada Skillet
- One Pot Gnocchi Chicken Pot Pie
- American Goulash
- Italian Rice Ball Skillet
- Cheesy Chicken Burrito Skillet
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Homemade Crunchy Taco Hamburger Helper
Homemade Crunchy Taco Hamburger Helper is much healthier than the boxed version. Made in just 1 skillet and ready in 30 minutes!
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 large shallot or 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 taco seasoning packet OR 1 batch homemade taco seasoning (see notes), do not add water
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1-3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice, such as basmati or jasmine
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Toppings: tortilla chips, salsa, sliced avocado, chopped green onions
- Brown ground beef with shallot in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain then return to the skillet. Add taco seasoning, salsa, and chicken broth then bring to a boil. Stir in rice then place a lid on top and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender then remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Place lid back on the skillet then let sit for 5 minutes before serving with toppings.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.