I am a believer that many things become infinitely better when smothered in something fabulous.
I mean, tortilla chips without a smothering of creamy queso? Pass. Vanilla ice cream without a smothering of velvety, hot fudge? Yawn! A freshly washed face without a smothering of luxurious night cream? I can feel myself breaking out already.
A bed of pasta and chicken without a smothering of marinated roasted tomatoes, artichoke hearts, capers, zippy lemon, fresh basil, parmesan cheese, and a touch of cream? I wouldn’t hear of it!
Long story short, I’m totally into smothered chicken dishes right now, ie sauteed chicken smothered with a plethora of flavorful ingredients simmered in an easy, yummy sauce.
Mediterranean Smothered Chicken, with its bright and fresh coastal flavors, is my latest fave. Liven up a package of plain ol’ chicken breasts tonight with this easy, mouthwatering recipe. I promise you’ll lick your plate clean!
How to Make this Recipe:
Start by brushing 4 chicken breasts on both sides with extra virgin olive oil then seasoning with garlic salt and pepper (note: I’m showing 1/4 of the recipe in these pictures.) Saute for 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through, then remove to a plate and take the skillet off the heat to cool for a few minutes.
After the chicken is cooked through, drop 8oz angel hair pasta into salted, boiling water then cook until al dente. It should be done right around the same time as the smotherin’ sauce.
Which is where we head next! This is a pretty quick-cooking dish, so make sure to have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go on a plate or cutting board nearby.
Turn the heat down to medium then place the skillet back on the burner. Heat 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil then add 1 large chopped shallot and season with salt and pepper. Saute the shallots until translucent, about 3 minutes, then add 3 minced garlic cloves and cook for 30 more seconds.
Next add 1 can quartered artichoke hearts (drained), 1 cup marinated roasted tomatoes, 2 Tablespoons drained capers, and 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
Here are the marinated roasted tomatoes I mentioned, which I picked up at the Whole Foods olive bar. They’re lightly roasted tomatoes that are marinated in olive oil, garlic, and spices, and are so delicious that I could eat probably eat 4 billion of them. If you can’t find these in your area, sub in 1/2 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes that have been packed in oil.
Saute the tomatoes and artichokes for a couple minutes, just enough time to warm them through, then add 1/4 cup half & half (or heavy cream) and 1/2 cup chicken broth.
Add 1/4 cup each chopped basil and grated parmesan cheese.
Finish ‘er up with the juice of 1/2 lemon then reduce the sauce for a minute or two. Not too long, or else you won’t have enough to smother the chicken with!
Divide the pasta among four plates, top with a cooked chicken breast, then SMOTHER.
SMOTHER, SMOTHER, SMOTHER.
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Mediterranean Smothered Chicken
Mediterranean Smothered Chicken is decadent, yet easy dinner recipe. Liven up a package of boring chicken breasts tonight!
- 4 small chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- extra virgin olive oil, garlic salt, pepper
- 8oz angel hair pasta
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup marinated roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 Tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half & half (or heavy cream)
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Brush both sides of chicken breasts with extra virgin olive oil then season with garlic salt and pepper. Saute in a large, nonstick sprayed skillet over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes a side, or until no longer pink in the center. Remove to a plate then set aside.
- Add pasta to a large pot of salted, boiling water then cook until al dente. Drain then set aside.
- Let chicken skillet cool off the heat for a few minutes, then return to burner and reduce heat to medium. Add extra virgin olive oil and shallots then season with salt and pepper and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic then saute for 30 more seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add roasted tomatoes, artichoke hearts, capers, and lemon zest then saute until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, half & half, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, and basil then reduce sauce slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Divide pasta among plates then top with a chicken breast. Smother with tomato and artichoke mixture.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
I cannot tell you how mouthwatering this dish was! The pasta soaked up that yummy, decadent-tasting sauce (which is actually fairly light – only 1 Tablespoon half & half per person) and each bite was just HEAVENLY. Make sure you make this sometime soon!