Raise your hand if you were forced to eat meatloaf as a kid (my arm is stretched into the air, waving wildly right now)!
Meatloaf is one of my Dad’s favorite meals so my Mom made it for dinner quite often when I was growing up. Unfortunately I didn’t feel the same and spent many nights planted at the kitchen table long after my brother’s had cleaned their plates, washing down nibble after nibble of cold meatloaf with warm milk and a pinched nose.
You’ve been there.
Strangely, sometime over the past year I’ve developed somewhat of a craving for meatloaf and so when the idea for Mini BBQ Cheddar Meatloaves caused me to nearly fly off the end of the treadmill I happened to be running on at the time (why am I always thinking about food on the treadmill?) I knew I had to turn vision into reality.
Mini BBQ Cheddar Meatloaves are individually portioned meatloaves studded with caramelized onions, cheddar cheese cubes, and BBQ sauce, baked to sizzling, ooey-gooey cheesy perfection.
These are NOT your Mother’s meatloaves! (Sorry Mom.)
Kids and kids at heart will not be able to resist this seriously delicious flavor combo, and what food isn’t better made in miniature form? Kids feel special getting their own mini meal and I, especially, appreciate the built in portion control.
Whatever the reason, you will adore these mini meatloaves!
How to Make This Recipe
Start by caramelizing a large sweet onion. Oh yeah! Melt butter in a large pot or skillet over medium heat then add the sliced onions and season with a dash of salt. Saute for 20 minutes, or until the onions are soft, golden brown, and sweet. Set them aside to cool slightly – you can do this a day ahead of time, too.
Next add ground beef and a whisked egg to a large mixing bowl. I like using lean ground beef so the meatloaves don’t end up greasy.
Add Worcestershire sauce and BBQ sauce, plus salt and pepper.
Lastly, add gluten free panko-style bread crumbs (or regular panko bread crumbs if you don’t need to eat gluten free,) plus the cooled caramelized onions and cheddar cheese cut into 1/4″ cubes, which will stud the inside of the meatloaves like melted buried treasure.
Mix the ingredients together with your hands then form into four mini loaves and place on a foil lined, nonstick sprayed baking sheet. Spread 1 Tablespoon BBQ sauce over each loaf to keep them nice and moist in the oven then bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees.
Wooo! Look at that meltage!
Pair the mini meatloaves with a side salad, or roasted broccoli like I did, then serve them on up. I hope you love this easy, decadent, totally tasty twist on classic meatloaf – enjoy!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Mini BBQ Cheddar Meatloaves
Mini BBQ Cheddar Meatloaves are flavored with melty cheddar cheese and sweet BBQ sauce. This tasty twist on classic meatloaf is a hit with my family!
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup gluten free panko-style bread crumbs
- 2oz cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4" cubes
- Cut onion in half then each half into thin slices. Melt butter in a large skillet or pot over medium heat then add onion and a dash of salt. Cook, stirring every couple of minutes, until onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Turn heat down if onions start to burn. Set aside to cool slightly - can be made ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl combine ground beef, egg, Worcestershire sauce, 2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, cheese cubes, and caramelized onions, then mix until just combined. Divide mixture into 4 equal-sized portions then form into loaves and place on a foil-lined, non-stick-sprayed baking sheet. Spread 1 Tablespoon BBQ sauce over each loaf then bake for 20 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center, and then serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.