One thing about me is that if it’s even remotely possible, I’m gonna turn it into pizza.
Pizza Fries? INSANE!
We’re talking crispy, oven-baked fries dusted with fry seasoning then topped with gooey mozzarella cheese, warmed pizza sauce, and chopped pepperoni. If you need an easy dinner win with your kids (or kids at heart), a plate of deliciousness to devour on game day, a party appetizer, or anything in between — this Pizza Fries recipe is for you.
I cannot overemphasize how awesome these are.
Watch How to Make Them!
Why You’ll Love Pizza Fries
At first, you might be giving Pizza Fries the side eye, but I am telling you they are a true treat. As in, no comment in regards to how many times I went back to the pan after baking up my last test batch. They’re *absolutely* irresistible.
This is a meal my kids adore and is perfect to make for the big game because it takes minutes to assemble and is essentially hands off. Plus it feeds a crowd and is easy to customize. Did I mention you only need to dirty one pan?
I could go on forever (baby)! #namethatmovie
All you need is a handful of everyday ingredients to whip up a hot and sizzling pan of pepperoni Pizza Fries.
- Frozen french fries: I like Ore-Ida Extra Crispy “Fast Food” Fries, which are gluten free, though you can use whatever cut you like best or have on hand — waffle fries, crinkly cut fries, steak fries, etc.
- Pizza-blend shredded cheese: is a blend of shredded mozzarella cheese and grated parmesan cheese. If you can only find plain mozzarella cheese — that’s fine! Add a dusting of parmesan if you have it, as it really drives home the pizza flavor. Your favorite mozzarella-style vegan cheese works great for a dairy allergy or intolerance.
- Pizza sauce: or marinara sauce. Warm the sauce prior to dolloping on the fries to help the cheese melt quickly and evenly.
- Fry seasoning: is a simple combination of onion and garlic powders, paprika, and dried oregano that seasons the plain french fries.
- Toppings: I like quartered pepperoni though you can use your favorite pizza toppings and combos. See below for some ideas.
Switch it Up!
FUN is the name of the game when it comes to Pizza Fries. Don’t overthink this recipe — you honestly don’t even need to measure anything. That said, feel free to try one of these pizza fries spins, or make one up of your own!
- Truffle Pizza Fries: season the baked french fries with truffle salt instead of homemade fry seasoning then dollop with Truff Marinara Sauce and top with shredded Gruyere or Fontina cheese plus a dusting of parmesan cheese. DROOL.
- BBQ Chicken Pizza: swap the pepperoni for shredded chicken coated in your favorite BBQ sauce, and the pizza sauce for BBQ sauce. Opt for a mix of shredded white cheddar cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese then top with chopped fresh cilantro and minced red onion.
- Meat Lovers: add cooked ground Italian sausage, browned bacon, and diced ham to the pepperoni.
- Veggie Pizza: swap pepperoni slices for a mixture of chopped fresh tomatoes, minced red onion, sauted diced peppers, and sliced black olives. Top with chopped fresh parsley.
- Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms: swap the diced pepperoni for a mixture of caramelized onions and mushrooms. Add shredded fontina cheese to the pizza-cheese blend.
Make Pizza Fries in the Air Fryer
Do you prefer to prepare frozen french fries in the Air Fryer vs the oven? Here’s how to make Pizza Fries in the Air Fryer:
- Heat the AirFryer to 390 degrees, or the closest temperature setting to 390 degrees on your model, then line the basket with a disposable liner.
- Add the frozen french fries (may need to make 2 or 3 batches of Pizza Fries) to the basket then air fry according to package instructions — usually 10-15 minutes, shaking the basket every 5 minutes or so.
- Season the crisped fries with fry seasoning then toss with tongs to coat. Sprinkle on half the shredded cheese, dollop with warmed pizza sauce, then top with half the pepperoni. Repeat the cheese and pepperoni layers then Air Fry for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is hot and melty.
Alright, who’s hungry?!
How to Make Pizza Fries
Step 1: Bake frozen french fries.
Start by lining a half sheet pan with parchment paper or nonstick-sprayed foil then spread a bag of frozen french fries on top and bake according to package directions.
If you’re feeding a crowd, bake the whole bag. If you’re feeding less, make a half or quarter of the bag.
Step 2: Season the baked fries.
Once the french fries are hot and crispy, sprinkle on a homemade fry seasoning mix made with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and dried oregano. Use tongs to toss the fries to evenly coat in the seasoning.
Step 3: Layer on the cheese, sauce, and toppings.
Slightly pile the french fries in the center of the baking pan then sprinkle on half the shredded pizza-blend cheese. Next dollop on warmed pizza sauce, followed by a sprinkling of chopped pepperoni. Repeat the cheese and pepperoni layers.
Tip: be sure to warm the pizza sauce (doesn’t need to be piping hot) before dolloping on the fries to ensure the cheese melts quickly and evenly.
Tip: If you’ve got people with different topping preferences, make individual servings of Pizza Fries on quarter sheet pans!
Step 4: Melt the cheese.
Place the baking sheet back into the oven for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Use a spatula to scoop servings of Pizza Fries onto plates then serve with extra warmed pizza sauce (or Ranch if you’re from the Midwest.) ;)
I MEAN! It truly does not get more fun and delicious than this. I hope you love each and every bite of these ooey-gooey, hot and cheesy Pizza Fries — enjoy!
More Pizza-Inspired Recipes
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Pizza Fries are a fun and delicious way to crush a pizza craving! These ooey-gooey, hot and cheesy fries are perfect for kids (and kids at heart!), game day, or a party.
- 26oz bag frozen French Fries, any cut
- 8oz shredded pizza-blend cheese
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce, warmed, plus more for dipping
- 2oz pepperoni, cut into quarters
- For the Fry Seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Bake the frozen french fries according to package instructions, taking care to line the baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick-sprayed foil first for easy clean up.
- For the Fry Seasoning: while the fries are baking, add the ingredients for the Fry Seasoning into a small bowl then mix to combine and set aside.
- Sprinkle the hot french fries with fry seasoning (you don’t have to use all of it if you don’t want to) then use tongs to toss the fries to evenly coat in seasonings.
- Slightly pile the seasoned fries near the center of the baking sheet then sprinkle on half the shredded cheese. Spoon on dollops of warmed pizza sauce then add half the pepperoni. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and pepperoni then return the baking sheet to the oven to melt the cheese, 3-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with extra, warmed pizza sauce for dipping if desired.
- If you can’t find pizza-blend cheese, which is a combination of shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheeses, plain shredded mozzarella cheese is fine. If you have parmesan cheese on hand, a little bit sprinkled on top is very tasty.
- Feel free to use marinara sauce in place of pizza sauce.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Photos by Ashley McLaughlin