If you’ve had to go gluten free for whatever reason, and have a pulse, I’m willing to bet you’d give your left arm for a hot and crispy, chewy, cheesy hand tossed pizza. It’s been so long since I last had one that it took a good five minutes for the term “hand tossed” to come to mind. I wanted to say “pan pizza” but I think that’s just…pizza?
Anyway, save the valuable appendage because today I’m sharing the gluten free equivalent to hand tossed pizza: Gluten Free Pizza Breadsticks! YES – soft and fluffy, chewy breadsticks with the pizza crust texture we all adore(d). They are incredible! They’re also yeast free, ready in under 20 minutes from start to finish, and freezer friendly too. Plus they can be cooked in an Airfryer. I am dying for you to try them!
Gluten Free Pizza Breadsticks
Tapioca flour, baking powder, garlic powder and Italian herbs are mixed with shredded cheese, your favorite pizza toppings, eggs, and butter then shaped into breadsticks and baked in the oven OR the Airfryer. Either way, they don’t take longer than 10 minutes to cook.
If you’ve ever had Brazilian cheese bread, these pizza breadsticks are a riff on those except they’re studded with pizza toppings then shaped into breadsticks for maximum dunkability into warmed pizza or marinara sauce. Did I mention how fluffy and SOFT these breadsticks are? Just like pizza, and breadsticks for that matter, should be! No more cardboard gluten free pizza or worse, gummy gluten free pizza. Girl bye.
How to Freeze For Later
Cam and I had a blast recipe testing these pizza breadsticks this week and between the two of us I think we’ve eaten like, 50. Ok, maybe 48. It’s been…a lot, and we’re still not sick of them. That said, I froze the last batch and they reheat beautifully either in the microwave or Airfyer. Just cook then cool the pizza breadsticks and freeze solid on the baking sheet. Transfer to a Ziplock freezer bag then reheat for 1 minute at 50% power in the microwave, or cook for a few minutes in the Airfryer. The BEST!!
How to Make this Recipe
Start by adding tapioca starch (sometimes labeled tapioca flour) to a large bowl with baking powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Tapioca starch has a similar consistency to corn starch in that it will fly everywhere if you’re not careful, so use a whisk to gently stir everything together. Also, I prefer Bob’s Red Mill Tapioca starch!
Next add shredded mozzarella or an Italian blend cheese plus chopped pizza toppings (pepperoni, black olives, cooked Italian sausage, etc.) then whisk to combine.
Lastly, add melted then cooled butter plus whisked eggs. Switch to a wooden spoon then stir everything until combined into somewhat of a thick paste. The mixture shouldn’t be terribly sticky, and it will “dry” slightly after sitting for a minute or two.
Lightly wet your hands with water then scoop 1/4 cup of the dough into your hands and roll into a 3-4″ log (no need to be precise here!) Place onto a parchment paper or silpat lined baking sheet then can cook one of two ways:
Oven Bake Method
Bake the Gluten Free Pizza Breadsticks for 8-10 minutes at 450 degrees or until golden brown, rotating the pan halfway through.
Spray the basket of your Airfryer VERY WELL with nonstick spray then place the Gluten Free Pizza Breadsticks inside with 2″ between each breadstick (you’ll need to cook them in batches.) Bake at 390 degrees for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. I have a Philips XL Airfryer for reference.
That’s all she wrote! Dig in IMMEDIATELY for the best, most cheesy and fluffy experience – pizza sauce on the side, of course! I hope you love these absolutely AMAZING Gluten Free Pizza Breadsticks! Enjoy!
More Recipes to get Your Pizza Fix
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Gluten Free Pizza Breadsticks
Gluten Free Pizza Breadsticks are soft and cheesy, Airfryer-friendly, freezer-friendly, and best of all, EASY! Get your gluten free pizza fix in 20 minutes!
- 1-1/4 cup tapioca flour/starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6oz shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese (~1-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup pizza toppings (chopped pepperoni, sliced black olives, Italian sausage, etc.)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- marinara or pizza sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees then line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat and set aside.
- Add tapioca flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning to a large bowl then whisk slowly to combine. Add cheese and pizza toppings then whisk to combine. Add eggs and butter then switch to a wooden spoon and stir until mixture is thoroughly combined. Mixture will be slightly sticky but shouldn't be impossible to work with - it will become less sticky after sitting for a couple minutes.
- Lightly wet hands then scoop 1/4 cup dough into your hands and roll into a 3-4" log. Place onto prepared baking sheet then bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown, rotating the pan halfway through. Serve with marinara or pizza sauce for dipping.
- To cook using an AirFryer: I have a Philips XL AirFryer. Preheat to 390 degrees then spray the basket very well with nonstick spray. Add pizza sticks to basket 2" apart (will need to cook in batches) then cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- To freeze and reheat: freeze cooked then cooled Pizza Breadsticks on baking sheet until frozen solid then transfer to a Ziplock freezer bag. To reheat using the microwave: place pizza breadsticks on a plate then cover with a paper towel. Microwave on 50% power for one minute or until heated through. To reheat using an AirFryer: spray basket very well with nonstick spray then cook for 2-3 minutes at 390 degrees or until heated through.
- I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Tapioca Flour
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.