I’ve been experiencing a string of recipe flops lately (gloopy Fresh Strawberry Pie, we hardly knew ye,) but thankfully I got redemption in the form of Pizza Pasta Bake. This five ingredient gluten free cheesy casserole comPLETELY hits the spot, and is beyond simple to make!
A couple weekends ago after being out all day, Ben and I fed Lincoln a quick dinner before bedtime only to realize that we didn’t really have anything to feed ourselves. So, while I put the little man to bed, he ran to the grocery store, snagged a few ingredients, and whipped up this here masterpiece. Pizza pasta casserole is really unlike Ben — usually he’s more of a thoughtfully layering flavors kind of cook vs throw stuff in a casserole dish and bake it— but this is one time when I’m glad he went the simple vs sophisticated route because the dish knocked our SOCKS off. It really does taste just like pizza!
We both licked our plates clean then went back for seconds and…yep, thirds. This Pizza Pasta Bake, made up of just five ingredients — pasta, marinara sauce, pizza toppings, and two types of cheeses— proves that simple really is better. Like buttered noodles, chicken soup, and, yes, pizza, recipes don’t have to be complicated or fussy to be outstanding.
Well, two types of cheese doesn’t hurt either…!
How to Make Pizza Pasta Bake
Start by cooking gluten-free penne or rotini pasta until it’s just shy of al dente, as it will continue to cook in the oven. Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce into the bottom of an 8×8″ baking dish then scoop half the pasta on top. Next spread enough marinara sauce on top to cover.
Sprinkle on gluten-free pepperoni and sliced black olives (or whatever your favorite pizza toppings are!) followed by shredded mozzarella and provolone cheeses.
Repeat all the layers one more time – pasta, marinara sauce, toppings, and cheese.
Cover the baking dish with a piece of foil sprayed very well with nonstick spray (otherwise the cheese WILL stick,) then place it onto a baking sheet. Bake covered for 20 minutes then remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Let the casserole rest for 10 minutes, then dive in!
Cheesy, decadent, and ALL the pizza flavor you adore in casserole form. We couldn’t love this dish more. Enjoy!
free email bonus
5 Secrets to the Coziest Christmas Ever
5 days of festive gluten free recipes and projects for your best Christmas yet!
Pizza Pasta Bake
Pizza Pasta Bake is a cheesy, 5 ingredient gluten free casserole recipe that will satisfy your pizza cravings without having to call for delivery!
- 12oz gluten free penne pasta (could use rotini)
- 24oz gluten free marinara sauce
- 4oz gluten free pepperoni, sliced in half (I like Applegate Naturals)
- 3.8oz can sliced black olives, drained
- 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4oz shredded provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add pasta to a large pot of salted boiling water than cook a couple minutes before the pasta reaches the al dente stage (pasta will continue to cook in the oven.) Drain then set aside.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce into the bottom of an 8x8" baking dish. Spoon in half the pasta then spoon enough marinara sauce over top to cover. Sprinkle on half the pepperoni and black olives, and half the cheeses. Repeat layers then cover with a piece of foil sprayed very well with nonstick spray and place baking dish on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes then remove foil and bake for 10-15 additional minutes, or until cheese is golden brown. Let casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Use your favorite pizza toppings if you don't care for pepperoni and/or black olives.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.