Grab your sunglasses, swim suit (plus muumuu – dear lord the Quarantine 15(lb) is a very real thing) and suntan lotion because I have the PERFECT frozen summer cocktail to share with you today! Sangria Slushie is red wine sangria in frozen form and it’s just begging to be blended, poured, then enjoyed poolside. Or you know, in a bag chair next to your kids’ water table while dodging blasts from a squirt gun. Both work!
What’s a Sangria Slushie?
This boozy, fruity frozen cocktail is basically my go-to sangria recipe that’s been frozen overnight then blended. So easy. I cannot emphasize enough how refreshing it is, plus there are NO fancy mixers required. No brandy, no triple sec – just everyday ingredients that you either already have on hand or, if you have to purchase something, leftovers won’t sit untouched for months and months afterwards. Honestly I think my parents have a few bottles of brandy in their liquor cabinet that are 20+ years old. I mean, maybe brandy ages well? Doesn’t matter – we don’t have to worry about it with this recipe!
How to Make This Recipe:
All you have to do is add 1 bottle red wine plus 1-3/4 cups ginger ale to a Ziplock freezer bag set inside a dish then freeze overnight. The alcohol in the wine will ensure the mixture doesn’t freeze solid. Choose a red wine that you’d enjoy drinking out of a glass and go with a sweeter red wine if you like sweeter sangria. Personally I use either a Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot.
When you’re ready to drink, add the mixture to a blender along with 1/2 cup additional ginger ale, the juice of 1 navel orange (~1/4 cup), 3oz white rum, and 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries. I’ve always used a mix of strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries, but use whatever you’ve got in the freezer.
Blend until the sangria slushie mixture is super smooth then scoop into glasses and stick a straw inside. You’re done! I like to let my Sangria Slushie melt just a tiny bit before sipping as you can taste all the flavors a little bit better when it’s not completely frozen. I hope you love this super easy and refreshing frozen cocktail recipe! Cheers!
5 Secrets to the Coziest Christmas Ever
have your best christmas ever...at home!
Frosty, boozy, and fruity too, that's what a Sangria Slushie is made of! This delicious, blended cocktail will quickly become a warm weather favorite.
- 1 bottle red wine (I like Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot for this recipe)
- 2-1/4 cups ginger ale, divided
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
- 3oz white rum
- juice of 1 navel orange (1/4 cup juice)
- Add wine and 1-3/4 cups ginger ale to a freezer Ziplock bag placed inside a bowl or dish then seal and freeze overnight (the alcohol in the wine will not allow it to freeze solid.)
- Add frozen wine/ginger ale mixture to a blender with remaining 1/2 cup ginger ale plus remaining ingredients then blend until smooth. I like to let the slushie melt a little before enjoying - you can taste the flavors better that way. If you like your slushie a little sweeter you can add an extra splash of ginger ale and/or orange juice to your glass.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.