Let’s talk about Chex Mix, specifically my inability to control myself around a bowl of it, mmkay?
Whether it’s the original blend both Ben’s and my Mom make around the holidays (extra worcestershire sauce and garlic powder in my Mom’s version, Cheerios in Ben’s,) or sweet and powdery Puppy Chow hiding a chocolaty, peanut buttery surprise – I simply cannot get enough. If it’s around, my hand will go back for a bite again and again, and again and again.
Heck, I even like the packaged stuff! Everyday before synchronized swimming practice in high school my friends and I would feed the vending machines for a bag of original chex mix and can of Mountain Dew. I remember setting the ice cold can on the ledge of the pool to quench my thirst in between holding my breath for what felt like an hour under water, then counteracting the whole bit by eating soggy, salty chex mix in the bleachers afterwards. Healthy!
Anyway, I’ve got an outrageous, sweet and salty twist on Chex Mix that you’re going to go crazy for – Snickers Chex Mix!
Made completely in the microwave, this sweet, sticky, chewy, crunchy, chocolate, peanutty Chex Mix is Chocolate Chex drizzled with more melted chocolate and drippy caramel then sprinkled with salted peanuts and Snickers Bites. Yes – Snickers. Bites.
Have a game plan ready for when you make this outrageous, addicting dessert – you won’t want to be alone with a whole batch!
Start by pouring 8 cups Chocolate Chex, the base of our Snickers Chex Mix, in a big, microwave-safe baking dish. I used a big casserole dish!
Next, make the homemade caramel sauce that will help the chex mix stick together in big, yummy hunks. Add 3/4 cup brown sugar, 6 Tablespoons butter, and 3 Tablespoons light corn syrup to a microwave-safe dish then microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Finally, stir in 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
Drizzle the mixture over the cereal then stir to coat the best you can. It’s ok if not every single chex is covered.
Next, microwave the cereal for 3 minutes, stirring every minute, then spread out onto a wax paper-lined baking sheet to cool for 15 minutes before breaking into bite-sized pieces.
SNICKERS TOPPING TIME! Ahem.
First microwave 3/4 cup chocolate chips until smooth then drizzle over the chex with a spoon. Next microwave 1/2 cup caramel bits with 1 Tablespoon heavy cream (or half and half – I used my French Vanilla Coconut Milk coffee creamer) until smooth then drizzle that on top of the chocolate.
While the chocolate and caramel are still warm, sprinkle on 3/4 cup salted peanuts, then bring out the big guns – Snickers Bites! Have you had these? They are AMAZING! Some of the “bites” I can’t really get on board with – the ratios are all off – but these babies are just right.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup Snickers Bites on top of the mixture then pop the whole pan in the refrigerator to let the caramel and chocolate set up.
Once the chex mix is completely cool, break it into big hunks then enjoy!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Snickers Chex Mix
Snickers Chex Mix is crispy, chewy, salty, sweet and irresistible!
- 8 cups Chocolate Chex
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup caramel bits
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream or half & half (I used French Vanilla coffee creamer)
- 3/4 cup salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup Snickers Bites
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper then set aside. Add cereal to a large, microwave-safe dish or bowl then set aside.
- Add brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup to a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through, then stir in baking soda. Pour mixture over chocolate chex then stir to coat. Microwave for 3 minutes, stirring every minute, then pour onto prepared baking sheet. Cool completely, about 15 minutes, then break into bite-sized pieces.
- Add chocolate chips to a microwave-safe dish then microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment, until smooth. Drizzle over chex using a spoon.
- Add caramel bits and heavy cream to a microwave-safe dish then microwave for 1 minute, stirring halfway through, until smooth. Drizzle over chex using a spoon.
- Sprinkle peanuts and Snickers bites over chex mix while caramel and chocolate are still warm. Place in the refrigerator to cool completely then break apart and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Adapted from Chex.com.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Like I said – highly addicting. Make for the Super Bowl, Valentine’s Day, or any day that ends in an -ay. Do you really need an excuse?! ;) Enjoy!