Tonight I took the egg casserole concept and made Un-Egg Casserole for dinner! You see, I had the intention of making a Broccoli Cheese Frittata with Toast for dinner, but at the last minute I thought, what the heck, let’s throw it all in!
2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
dash of water
salt & pepper (to taste)
hot sauce (to taste)
1/5 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 cups chopped broccoli
2 handfuls baby spinach
1 chopped green onion
2 pieces toasted bread
2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1. Pre-heat broiler. Whisk eggs, water, salt, pepper, hot sauce and Parmesan cheese together.
2. Meanwhile, steam broccoli, spinach and green onion for 3 minutes, or until tender. Allow to cool slightly, and add to egg mixture. Combine.
3. Chop toast and cheese into cubes and add to egg mixture. Combine.
4. Heat a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat and spray generously with non-stick spray. Add the egg mixture to the skillet and let it set for 2-3 minutes, running your spatula around the edges of the pan every so often to make sure nothing is sticking.
5. After the sides and bottom have set, add the other slice of chopped cheese on top and place your skillet under the broiler.
6. Broil until the top is cooked and golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.
7. Allow the un-casserole to cool for several minutes, slice and enjoy!
Who needs a casserole that takes 40 minutes to bake and is loaded with butter and/or cream of who knows what, when you can make this easy, affordable un-egg casserole in 10 minutes?!