Gluten-Free Puppy Chow is a quick and classic treat. Chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar – it doesn’t get much better than that!
Today’s post is not so much a new or innovative recipe, as it a PSA/reminder.Let’s talk about Puppy Chow, friends. It exists, it’s delicious, and you should make it. Soon!
Nothing screams Christmas or the holidays more than Puppy Chow, me thinks. I mean, crunchy rice cereal coated in melted peanut butter and chocolate, then blanketed in sweet powdered sugar to mimic freshly fallen snow? ‘Tis the ever-loving season!
My Mom always has a batch of either homemade Puppy Chow or its savory sister, Chex Mix, (which she doubles the amount of Worcestershire sauce in just for me!) on the counter during these festive couple of months. It’s nice to know I can always count on a sweet or salty treat whenever I pop over to my parent’s house. Plus a bowl of cereal. They always have really good cereal.
Aside from being a yummy snack, Puppy Chow makes an AWESOME holiday gift!
It’s always such a struggle to figure out what to get your boss, co-workers, mailman, or kids’ teachers for the holidays, isn’t it?
My advice is this: skip the candles and chotskies this year and give them what they really want – a big mason jar filled with fresh Puppy Chow, tied with a pretty ribbon. It’s inexpensive, delicious, and when’s the last time you saw someone selling jars of Puppy Chow at a summer garage sale?
Best of all, Puppy Chow is ridiculously easy to make. 15 minutes – tops – from the time you raid your pantry to gather the ingredients, to the time you’re popping the rich and chocolatey morsels into your mouth.
Get after it, already!
15-Minute Puppy Chow
Puppy Chow is a quick and classic treat. Chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar - it doesn't get much better than that!
- 9 cups Rice or Corn Chex
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Pour cereal into a very large bowl then set aside. Combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds then stir. Keep microwaving and stirring in 20 second increments until mixture is smooth. Drizzle over cereal then stir with a spatula until cereal is completely coated.
- Place powdered sugar in a very large ziplock bag (may need to do a couple batches.) Add cereal then gently shake for 1 minute or until cereal is completely coated. Lay Puppy Chow out on wax paper to cool then store in an airtight container.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
I would not change a thing about Puppy Chow, and especially love the big chunks when 1 or 2 chex pieces stick together. Ooo!
Hope you (and your gift recipients) enjoy!
Workout of the day: 35 Minute, 3.5 Mile 5-4-3-2-1 Treadmill Workout