Today’s post is not so much a new/innovative recipe as it a PSA/reminder. Let’s talk about Puppy Chow, friends. It exists, it’s delicious, and you should make it. Soon!
What is Puppy Chow?
Puppy Chow, also known as Muddy Buddies, is a popular snack in the Midwest that’s fun to make and eat all year long, but especially around the holidays. Something about clusters of chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar covered-Rice Chex looking like delectable little snow balls or something like that.
Seriously though, nothing screams Christmas or the holidays more to me than Puppy Chow. Not even sugar cookies, and that’s really saying something! Best of all, this recipe is SO. EASY. Just 15 minutes from ingredients to eating – you can’t beat that!
How Long Does Puppy Chow Last?
The unofficial answer is: minutes?! The official answer is up t0 5 days if stored in an airtight container or Ziplock bag. Promise it won’t hang around for long, though.
Does Puppy Chow Need to Be Refrigerated?
Puppy Chow does not need to be refrigerated which means it’s great for giving as an edible holiday gift. I like to package scoops of Puppy Chow in clear treat bags with a pretty ribbon, or in a holiday tin which you can get from the Target $1 aisle or even the Dollar Store. Inexpensive, easy, and WAY better than giving someone a boring old candle for the holidays.
Before we go on, I feel like it has to be said – Puppy Chow is NOT for puppies nor any other animal! More for us humans. ?
How to Make Puppy Chow:
Start by pouring Rice Chex into a very large bowl – the biggest you’ve got!
Next microwave semi-sweet chocolate chips, smooth peanut butter, butter or vegan butter, and vanilla until melted and smooth.
Pour the chocolate/peanut butter mixture over the cereal then use a spatula to gently stir the ingredients to coat.
Next add powdered sugar to two large Ziplock bags then divide the Rice Chex mixture between the two bags.
Gently shake to coat the Rice Chex in the powdered sugar then spread the Puppy Chow onto wax paper to let it cool. Couldn’t be easier nor more tasty. UGH, so good! I hope you love this festive, simple, and scrumptious holiday treat – enjoy!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
15-Minute Puppy Chow
Puppy Chow is a classic holiday recipe that's gluten free too! Chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar combine to make a crunchy, irresistible treat.
- 9 cups Rice Chex
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Prep: Divide powdered sugar between two large Ziplock bags then set aside. Place a couple sheets of overlapping wax paper on the countertop. Pour cereal into a very large bowl then set aside.
- Combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla in a large, microwave-safe bowl then microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Keep microwaving and stirring in 20 second increments until mixture is smooth. Drizzle over cereal then stir with a spatula until cereal is completely coated.
- Divide mixture between powdered sugar bags then gently shake until cereal is completely coated. Pour Puppy Chow out onto wax paper to cool then store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.