So sorry to be coming at you a little late this week – I’ve been recovering from a head cold + stomach bug double whammy! ‘Tis the season, you guys. Have you been staying healthy so far?
I’ve been resting on the couch, letting Ben cook dinner (hello homemade falafel and potato pita bread! Definitely need to share that GF pita recipe with you soon…) and even taking naps. Well, I took one 15 minute nap before being woken up by Cameron who was mouth-breathing in my face. No sweeter sight to open my eyes to though!
I’ve also been nibbling on this 2-ingredient Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark – you know, because peppermint can soothe an upset stomach and dark chocolate is good for pretty much everything else? I feel better already!
Seriously couldn’t be more excited to get this recipe in your hot little holiday (un)baking hands today, just in time for holiday gift giving and snacking. I tried a dark chocolate and peppermint “snack break” product a few months ago and immediately knew I wanted to recreate for the holidays. The combination of dark chocolate and crushed peppermint is so meant to be and making the bark at home is a cinch – we’re talking 3 minutes of active cooking time.
And by active cooking time I mean crushing candy canes then adding them to chocolate chips melted in the microwave. Super active. That is to say, anyone can make this sweet snack or dessert, and it makes for such an easy, thoughtful gift.
Fill candy bags with the bark then tie with a pretty ribbon. If I had co-workers who weren’t 4 and 1 years old I would totally be handing out bag after bag of this yummy, minty treat to all my work friends. Not only is it simple and stress-free, but if you use the dark chocolate chips I used (brand below,) almost anyone can enjoy them. Nothing worse then having food allergies or an autoimmune disorder and having to skip the company or neighborhood cookie exchange, but everyone will be able to enjoy this delicious and easy, 2-ingredient holiday treat!
Like I said – just 2 ingredients in this Christmas candy recipe: a 9oz bag dark chocolate chips and 6 regular sized candy canes. I used Enjoy Life dark chocolate morsels since they’re free of 13 major allergens including gluten and dairy (Lincoln loves this bark!) but use whatever dark chocolate you like.
Add the candy canes to a ziplock bag then place the bag onto a kitchen towel and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to crush the candy canes. You don’t need to pulverize them into dust – just little pieces. Measure out 2 Tablespoons crushed candy canes, then set everything aside.
Next add the chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl then heat in 30 second increments, stirring between increments, until the chocolate is smooth – mine took 1:30. Add the candy canes, plus 1 or 2 drops food safe peppermint oil if you have it on hand, then mix to combine. I only had peppermint oil for topical use on hand, but I think the real deal would be so fab in here!
Scoop the chocolate-peppermint mixture onto a silpat or parchment paper-lined half sheet pan then spread to an even layer. I found the easiest way to do this was to pick the sheet pan up and gently shake it back and forth from side to side. Finally, sprinkle the reserved 2 Tablespoons crushed candy canes on top.
Refrigerate until the chocolate sets, about 20 minutes, then break into big pieces and devour! As I mentioned, you can also package the bark in treat bags and tie with a ribbon – keep the packages refrigerated until gifting. However you serve or eat this craveable, 2-ingredient Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark – enjoy!!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
2-Ingredient Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark
2-Ingredient Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark couldn't be simpler and is perfect for holiday snacking. Package up and tie with a bow for a sweet homemade gift!
- 6 regular-sized candy canes (1/2 cup crushed)
- 9oz bag dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- 2-3 drops peppermint essential oil (optional)
- Line a half sheet pan with a silpat or parchment paper then set aside.
- Add candy canes to a large ziplock bag then place onto a kitchen towel and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to crush the candy (keep on kitchen towel in case the bag gets a small tear - easier to clean up.) Scoop out 2 Tablespoons crushed candy then set aside.
- Add chocolate chips to a medium-sized bowl then microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between increments, until the chocolate is smooth - 1:30 - 2 minutes. Add crushed candy canes and peppermint oil, if using, then stir to incorporate. Pour mixture onto prepared sheet pan then spread into an even layer. It helps to pick the pan up and gently shake it back and forth until the candy has formed an even layer. Sprinkle with reserved crushed candy canes then refrigerate until the chocolate has set, 20 minutes.
- Break bark into pieces then serve or package into gift bags and tie with a ribbon - keep chocolates refrigerated until eating or gifting.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.