There are a few things to be grateful for in terms of getting diagnosed with Celiac Disease, including eating fresher and healthier than ever before.
Case in point: Cauliflower Fried Rice!
I can say with 100% certainty that I would have never thought to swap regular white rice for CAULIFLOWER rice in my standard fried rice recipe had I not been diagnosed, but this is one healthy swap that I am totally here for. It’s a dead ringer for the real thing!
Grated or “riced” cauliflower is stir fried with frozen mixed vegetables, green onions, garlic, and sesame oil-laced eggs then tossed with gluten-free Tamari (or soy sauce if you’re not gluten-free) and served up hot. Absolutely delicious. A revelation. No restaurant – nor rice! – required.
Tips for Making Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Fresh or Frozen: I’m showing you how to make this recipe with freshly riced cauliflower, though you can use frozen, pre-riced cauliflower instead. No need to thaw prior to cooking.
- Tools Needed: While a food processor rices cauliflower in seconds, you can also use a box grater to make cauliflower rice. Additionally, a large wok works great for this recipe, though a very large, nonstick skillet does the job too.
- Too veggie heavy? If you’re serving Cauliflower Fried Rice to little ones, or have a dining parter that won’t go for so many veggies, feel free to cut the cauliflower rice with regular, cooked white rice. I do this for my kids – half cauli rice/half cooked rice – and they have NO idea.
Even if you don’t need to eat gluten-free, we could all use a little more plants in our diet. This low-carb, 20 minute supper is going to make you all kinds of happy, I just know it!
Step 1: Prep the Cauliflower
Start by slicing out the core of a small head of cauliflower, then cut the head into a few big hunks.
Next, fit a large food processor with the grating attachment. If you don’t have a food processor you can use a box grater OR, as I mentioned, you can use store-bought frozen riced cauliflower instead.
Pop the cauliflower hunks into the shoot then let ‘er rip.
Here’s a close up shot of the results. Visually the cauliflower is a cross between rice and hash browns.
Step 2: Cook the Cauliflower Fried Rice
Place a large wok or nonstick skillet over high heat then add sesame oil. Measure out 4 cups grated cauliflower then add it to the hot oil along with frozen mixed vegetables and chopped green onions.
Stir fry until the cauliflower is just starting to become tender, 3-4 minutes, then add minced garlic and season with salt and pepper. Stir fry until the garlic is fragrant, another minute or so.
Next, push the cauliflower to the sides of the wok to create a well in the center, then pour in a couple of eggs whisked with more sesame oil. Let sit until set on the bottom then scramble and toss to combine.
Last step is to drizzle in gluten-free Tamari or soy sauce (dish will not be GF if using traditional soy sauce) then toss to combine.
Last step is to scoop the Cauliflower Fried Rice into bowls then serve. I hope you love this healthier, gluten free take-out fake out dish – enjoy!
More Cauliflower Rice Recipes
- Sausage Gravy Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers with Parmesan-Garlic Cauliflower Rice
- Sweet Chili Chicken with Coconut-Lime Cauliflower Rice
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Cauliflower Fried Rice
Cauliflower Fried Rice will trick your tastebuds in the best way possible. This 20 minute gluten-free, low-carb recipe will be a hit at your house!
- 1 teaspoon + 1 Tablespoon sesame oil, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 green onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons gluten-free Tamari or soy sauce (dish will not be GF if using soy sauce)
- Combine 1 teaspoon sesame oil with eggs in a bowl then whisk to combine and set aside. Chop cauliflower head into big chunks then send through a food processor fitted with the grating attachment. Alternatively you could grate the cauliflower on a box grater. Measure out 4 cups grated cauliflower then save the rest for another use.
- Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon sesame oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add cauliflower, green onions, and frozen mixed vegetables then stir fry until cauliflower is just beginning to turn tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, season with salt and pepper, and then continue to stir fry until garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds or so.
- Push mixture to the sides of the wok to create an opening in the center then add the eggs and scramble. Toss mixture to combine then drizzle in gluten-free Tamari and mix again to combine. Serve hot.
- Here is the 14-cup Food Processor I have >
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.