Ok, I know I’ve been extra excited about recipes this week, but I think I’ve saved the best for last.
I’ve mentioned a couple times in the past week or so that I am newly obsessed with Caribou Coffee’s Sparkling Peach Black Tea. It’s fizzy. It’s sweet. But it’s also $3.60 for a medium, and even when I specify “light ice”, you know that cup still comes jam packed.
So, in the spirit of saving money, cutting sugar, and not paying a premium for frozen water, I decided to make my own version at home, and it is is OFF THE FREAKING HOOK. I want you all to try this – including you, and you…and you, and you, and you. And especially you over there.
Sparkling Peach Black Tea is so easy to make at home, you’ll flip. All you do is brew-then-chill your favorite black tea then swirl in homemade Peach Simple Syrup which, as the name implies, is really simple to make. Like someone should seriously consider renaming it “ridiculously-simple syrup”. Top the glass off with a splash of sparkling club soda, and you’re set!
Don’t like black tea? Nix it and enjoy an Italian Peach Soda by mixing the peach simple syrup with club soda. Feeling frisky? Add a shot of vodka (oo or sweet tea vodka!) or mix the peach simple syrup with champagne. Craving dessert? Add a scoop of vanilla gelato on top! Me? I’m sticking with the original Sparkling Peach Black Tea. It is perfection!
Start the Sparkling Peach Black Tea by brewing your favorite black tea. I used this Trader Joe’s Mango Black Tea. Usually it’s a 1:1 ratio of cup of water to tea bag, but read the steeping instructions just in case. Once brewed, chill in the fridge.
Next make that peach ridiculously-simple syrup! First combine 1 cup each water and sugar in a saucepan.
Next add 2 sliced peaches (unpeeled) or 12oz frozen peach slices. I was worried that the frozen peaches wouldn’t taste “peachy” enough, since peach season is still pretty far away and I couldn’t use fresh, but they worked out just fab!
Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool completely then strain out the peaches. Simple, right?!
Don’t throw out the peaches, btw, as you can use them in smoothies, over ice cream, or even on top of pancakes!
The peach simple syrup should be a beautiful, well, PEACH, color. : ) At this point, pop it in the fridge with the tea to chill completely.
Fill your glass with ice then fill halfway with the chilled black tea.
Add 2-3 Tablespoons chilled peach ridiculously-simple syrup, depending on how sweet & peachy you want your drink. This is a big bonus of making sweetened teas or drinks at home. YOU control the amount of sugar you add, and not the coffee house barista!
Finally, top with club soda.
Stir, and sip!
5 Secrets to the Coziest Christmas Ever
have your best christmas ever...at home!
Copycat Caribou Coffee Sparkling Peach Black Tea
Copycat Caribou Coffee Sparkling Peach Black Tea is sweet and fizzy. Perfectly refreshing!
- Brewed black tea, chilled
- Club soda, chilled
- For the Peach Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 peaches, sliced (or 12oz frozen peaches)
- For the Peach Simple Syrup: Add water, sugar, and peaches to a saucepan then bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Turn heat down to medium then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let syrup cool completely then strain out peach slices (save for ice cream, pancakes, smoothies, etc.) and chill simple syrup.
- To serve: fill a glass with ice then fill 1/2 of the way up with cold tea. Add 2-3 Tablespoons cold peach simple syrup then top with club soda, stir, and then serve.
- Store the remaining peach simple syrup in a jar with a tight fitting lid in the refrigerator for up to several weeks. At the rate you'll want to guzzle these Sparkling Peach Black Teas though, it won't last that long!
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Happy sipping! ;)