You asked for more healthy crock pot recipes and I’m so happy to deliver with CrockPot White Chicken Chili! Not only is this easy white chicken chili low in fat yet high in protein and fiber, but it’s gluten free and dairy free too.
Best of all, this recipe falls into the “add nearly everything into the slow cooker then push on” category — aka the very best kind!
It’s not an exaggeration to say that my entire family loves this dish. Don’t tell my Signature Chili, but it might be my favorite chili recipe on IGE. Each bowl is slightly thick and velvety, and full of familiar yet craveable flavors.
Good anytime of year – just don’t forget the cornbread!
Watch How to Make It!
Lean, boneless skinless chicken breasts join fridge and pantry staples including canned white beans and green chiles, flavorful broth, and both dried and fresh herbs and spices to create a healthy bowl of white chili that’s made for you right in the crock pot. I think there’s a common misconception that chicken breasts take forever to slow cook, but all you need is four hours on low. It should shred with just the tap of a fork.
How Do You Thicken White Chicken Chili?
I love this crockpot chicken chili because the broth is slightly thick and luxurious. To thicken it, all you have to do is combine a splash of milk with gluten free flour (or regular flour if you don’t need to eat GF) then drizzle the mixture into the crock pot during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Nearly no work yet you get that fabulous, velvety texture which thickens a bit further after adding crushed tortilla chips and/or shredded cheese to each bowl.
Make or Prep Ahead – 3 Ways!
Not only is CrockPot White Chicken Chili a relatively quick cooking slow cooker recipe, but it’s easy to make or prep ahead of time. Here are my favorite ways to make or prep the recipe ahead of time so dinner is a breeze:
- Make freezer packs. Add all the ingredients into a gallon freezer bag then remove as much air as possible and freeze flat. 24-48 hours before slow cooking, place the bag in the fridge to thaw then dump into the crock pot and cook according to the directions. I stocked the freezer with a bunch of these before going on maternity leave with Cameron.
- Prep the night before. Add all the ingredients into the removable crock portion of your Crock Pot then place in the refrigerator overnight. Let the pot sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes then pop it into the base and cook according to recipe instructions..
- Cook ahead of time. Slow cook the recipe then cool completely and transfer to a large storage container. Scoop into bowls later in the week then reheat in the microwave. Voila – nearly instant supper!
How Spicy is It?
As written, this dish isn’t too spicy for my little kids, all currently 8 and under, though you could definitely up the ante by adding more fresh jalapenos into the mix, topping your bowl with fresh or pickled jalapeno slices, adding a dash or 17 of green Tabasco sauce, or topping each bowl with shredded Pepper Jack cheese.
How to Make CrockPot White Chicken Chili
Start by adding chicken breasts, canned great northern beans, canned diced green chiles, fresh jalapenos that have been seeded and minced, garlic, shallot or onion, plus seasonings including salt, pepper, cumin, and dried oregano into a 6-quart Crock Pot. Next add fresh lime juice plus chicken broth then stir, cover, and cook on low for 4 hours.
After four hours, shred the chicken and place into the refrigerator. Whisk together milk (any kind) and flour (gluten free, if you need it!) in a small dish then pour into the chili and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. This will give the chili just a touch of velvety thickness.
Stir the chicken back into the soup then scoop the CrockPot White Chicken Chili into bowls and serve with your favorite chili toppers. I hope you love this easy crockpot chicken chili recipe – enjoy!
What to Serve with CrockPot White Chicken Chili
- Sliced fresh or pickled jalapenos
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack Cheese
- Fresh lime wedges
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
More Crock Pot Recipes You’ll Love:
- Crock Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
- Crock Pot Mojo Pork
- Crock Pot Italian Beef
- Crock Pot Cheeseburger French Fries
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
CrockPot White Chicken Chili
CrockPot White Chicken Chili is an easy, healthy, and hearty slow cooker chicken chili recipe that's full of familiar yet craveable flavors.
- 1lb chicken breasts (~2 large chicken breasts)
- 15oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 4oz can chopped green chiles
- 1 - 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded then minced (use 1 made for a mild chili)
- 1 shallot or 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- big pinch dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
- juice of 1/2 small lime
- 1/4 cup milk, any kind
- 1 Tablespoon flour (gluten free all-purpose if you need it!)
- Toppings: green Tabasco sauce, verde sauce, lime wedges, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream
- Add first 12 ingredients — chicken breasts through lime juice — into a 6-quart crock pot then stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until chicken shreds easily.
- Remove chicken then shred and place in the refrigerator. Whisk flour and milk together in a small dish then drizzle into chili and stir to combine. Cover then cook on high for 30 minutes. Stir shredded chicken back into chili then scoop into bowls and serve with toppings.
- Leave a comment and star rating if you loved the recipe! Thank you for considering!
To prep ahead of time:
- Make freezer packs. Add all the ingredients for the CrockPot White Chicken Chili into a gallon freezer bag then remove as much air as possible and freeze flat. 24-48 hours before slow cooking, place the bag in the fridge to thaw then dump into the crockpot and cook according to the directions. I stocked the freezer with a bunch of these for maternity leave!
- Prep the night before. Add all the ingredients into the removable crock portion of your CrockPot then place in the refrigerator overnight. Let the CrockPot sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes then pop it into the base and cook according to directions.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Photos by Ashley McLaughlin