I feel like I’m always confessing I never have anything planned for dinner and, well, it’s true. Do as I say and not as I do, because truthfully, I suck at meal planning. There, I said it! Just like the handyman’s home is always in need of repair, 2-3 days a week I can usually be found rummaging around the fridge and pantry at 4pm trying to come up with something for dinner (thank goodness for permanent spaghetti and pizza nights!) Luckily since I’ve created a well stocked kitchen, and pick up fresh produce and meat at the grocery store each week, it’s not difficult to come up with something quick, healthy and balanced, but there’s definitely room to grow.
Until that time, I’ll keep on creating fridge and pantry suppers like Easy Chicken and Rice Soup that my family has been DEVOURING lately.
ICYMI, Lincoln absolutely adores soup, and Easy Chicken and Rice Soup is at the top of his list! (This face…I can’t!)
This healthy soup recipe was the result of a 5pm fridge and pantry raid and it was on the table by 5:30 – BOOM! We always have chicken breasts and carrots in the refrigerator, onions and shallots on the counter, and quarts of chicken broth and bags of rice in the pantry. Put ’em together and what’ve you got? Easy Chicken and Rice Soup. Unbelievably soul satisfying. Brothy but thickened ever so slightly by simmered rice. A simple ingredient list but tons of flavor thanks to seasoning everything with my homemade gluten-free seasoning salt. It’s honestly one of my Top 3 favorite soups for flavor, being family friendly (Ben, who is usually “meh” on soups, loves this one,) and for being so quick and easy. I’ve made it countless times over the past month.
Tips for Making Chicken and Rice Soup:
- What rice to use. Use a high quality rice for this recipe. I love Lundberg Farms Jasmine Rice which always has a great consistency in the final dish. You don’t need to pre-cook the rice before adding to the soup as it will cook in the broth. I would avoid short grain rice.
- Can you freeze this soup? Yes and no! Cooked rice in soup has a tendency to turn to mush once thawed from frozen, BUT you can make the soup up to the point of adding rice then freeze. Bring back to a boil, add the rice, then cook according to recipe directions.
How To Make This Recipe
Start by heating 1-1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add 2-3 medium-sized carrots that have been peeled then thinly sliced, and 1/2 chopped onion. Season with homemade gluten-free seasoned salt and pepper then place a lid on top and saute until the vegetables are very tender, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Next add 8 cups (64oz) gluten-free chicken broth then turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil.
Pour in 1 cup long grain white rice then stir to combine. Again, I like Lundberg Farms Jasmine Rice but you can use whatever you have on hand – that’s the beauty of this easy, fridge and pantry-staple soup supper! Just make sure it’s not a short grain rice like arborio or sushi rice. Next add 2 chopped chicken breasts that have been seasoned with seasoned salt and pepper then stir to combine (the chicken will cook while the rice is cooking.)
Turn the heat down to medium then simmer until the rice is tender, 15-20 minutes, then pop the lid back on top and let the soup rest off the heat for 5 minutes to ensure the rice is really soft. Ladle into bowls then serve! I hope you love this super simple, super scrumptious Easy Chicken and Rice Soup recipe – enjoy!
More Easy Soup Recipes
- One Pot Chicken and Rice >
- Gluten Free Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup >
- Crock Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup >
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup >
- Gluten Free Homestyle Chicken and Noodles >
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
Easy Chicken and Rice Soup is a quick and simple gluten-free soup recipe that the entire family will love. Healthy comfort food in a bowl!
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2-3 medium-sized carrots, peeled then thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- homemade seasoned salt and pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 64oz (8 cups) gluten free chicken stock
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrots, season with seasoned salt and pepper, then stir to combine. Cover the pot with a lid then saute until vegetables are very tender, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic then saute without the lid on for 30 seconds.
- Turn heat up to high then add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add rice then stir to combine. Season chicken with seasoning salt and pepper then add to the broth and stir to combine. Turn heat down to medium then simmer uncovered until rice is tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat then place a lid on top and let sit for 5 minutes. Taste then add more seasoned salt and/or pepper to taste, then ladle into bowls and serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.