We finally got a glimpse of spring this weekend! Saturday was too windy to do much of anything outside, but Sunday was sunny and in the 70s so Ben and I took Lincoln to his first “pup pup” aka miniature golf course for some outdoor fun. He was totally into it for the first 6-7 holes then was more interested in the landscaping and water traps than anything else. It was a good time, and MAN was it nice being out in the warm sunshine but…we were glad his admission was free. (I can’t get over that tiny, ultra-concentrated face!)
The rest of the weekend was fairly low-key. We spent some time with family plus I made, shot, then devoured these Thai Chicken Flatbread Pizzas.
Oh yes you CAN be gluten-free and enjoy flatbread pizzas too!
Gluten-free flatbreads (could use GF pitas or pizza crust – or regular if you don’t need to eat GF,) are layered with homemade peanut sauce, ground chicken sauteed with a dollop of the sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, chopped broccoli, and green onions, then baked in under 10 minutes.
Just before serving, the individual-sized pizzas are topped with chopped peanuts, cilantro, and fresh mango. Do not, under any circumstances, skip the chopped mango, by the way. The sweet and savory combination 100% makes these pizzas!
I don’t know about you, but anything full-sized shrunk down to individual size is just plain fun to eat. Maybe I need to get out more, but maybe you’ll agree that eating an entire individual-sized pizza is way better than eating 2 regular slices of pizza, especially when it’s slathered with an incredible peanut sauce and piled high with tons of yummy toppings!
Start by making the peanut sauce. In a bowl whisk together peanut butter, rice vinegar, gluten-free Tamari or soy sauce (dish will not be GF if using soy sauce,) garlic, Siracha, honey, sesame oil, and ground ginger, then set aside.
Next heat oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat then add ground chicken, a dollop of the peanut sauce, salt, and pepper. Saute until the chicken is cooked through then set aside to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, chop 1 mango. I generally choose a mango like I choose a peach. Fairly unblemished and gives a little when you press in with your thumb. There are SO many different types of mangoes so a certain color isn’t always a good indicator of a ripe mango, but any mango that’s very green will, in general, not be ripe.
Slice off the bottom of the mango then cut the “cheeks” off both sides of the pit.
There are many different ways to break down a mango but since we want the dice fairly small for the pizza, cut the cheeks into slices then slice off the peel like the photo below.
Another popular way to break down a mango is to slice horizontally then vertically through the flesh without slicing through the peel, then invert and slice off the cubes. However way you want to get there is fine!
Pizza assembly time! I like these MyBread flatbreads but any gluten-free flatbread, pita, or pizza crust is fine. Lay 4 flatbreads out onto 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper then slather the peanut sauce over each crust.
Next divy up the cooked chicken between the crusts then top with shredded mozzarella cheese, small chopped broccoli florets, and chopped green onions.
Bake for 7-9 minutes at 450 degrees, then slice and top with chopped peanuts, cilantro, and mango, and then serve. This is a great recipe to get your family cooking together in the kitchen. Older kids can help with the chopping then everyone can assemble their own pizzas before you slide them into the oven. However you get there, enjoy!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Thai Chicken Flatbread Pizza
Switch up pizza night with gluten-free Thai Chicken Flatbread Pizza featuring savory peanut sauce, fresh herbs, and sweet mango.
- 4 gluten-free flatbreads or pitas (could use a pizza crust, too!)
- 1/2lb ground chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon almond or vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 4oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup small chopped broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 mango, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- For the Peanut Sauce:
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free Tamari or soy sauce (dish will not be GF if using soy sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Siracha chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees then line a baking sheet (may need 2) with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine Peanut Sauce ingredients in a bowl then whisk until smooth. May need to microwave for 10-15 seconds to help warm the peanut butter.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken, 2 Tablespoons Peanut Sauce, salt, and pepper then saute until chicken is cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons Peanut Sauce on each flatbread then top with a quarter of the cooked chicken, cheese, chopped broccoli, and green onions. Bake pizzas for 7-9 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly then cut into quarters and top with chopped mango, peanuts, and cilantro. Serve with extra peanut sauce for dipping crust into!
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.