The recipe for Gluten Free Brownies is one that I’ve been making for over 15 years (ack!) – long before going gluten free. It comes from the Wuollet Bakery in Minneapolis, MN, where they called it their “Brownie Enormous”, and I’m telling you, it’s the best brownie you’ll ever sink your teeth into. Lucky for us, it’s a cinch to adapt to gluten free by swapping AP flour called for in the original recipe with gluten free baking flour. Easy!
That said, meet your new go to gluten free brownie recipe. We’re talking 1 bowl, 6 everyday gluten free ingredients, dense, super fudgy, irresistibly chocolatey, with that signature crackly top. Grab your almond milk!
Gluten Free Brownie Ingredients
I’m almost certain you already have all the ingredients on hand to makes these deeply chocolatey brownies. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Unsweetened Baking Chocolate: I use Baker’s unsweetened chocolate squares which are usually found in the regular baking aisle. Apparently there’s been some drama about Baker’s changing the size of their chocolate squares so be sure you’re using 4oz chocolate total!
- Butter or vegan butter: I’ve got great news for my dairy free friends: these gluten free brownies are just as delicious made with vegan butter as they are regular butter! I use Earth Balance buttery sticks with great results.
- Sugar: The amount of sugar called for in this recipe might seem like a lot, but remember that we’re starting with unsweetened chocolate, which requires a lot of sweet to step out of the bitter zone.
- Eggs: Eggs provide structure and richness to these gluten free brownies.
- Vanilla: Can’t make a baked good without it!
- Gluten Free Flour Blend: Be sure that you are using a gluten free flour blend WITH a binder such as xanthan gum, vs a single GF flour like rice flour or almond flour. I’ll link to my two favorites in the recipe card below. If you don’t need to eat gluten free, you can us regular all purpose flour instead.
The pan of brownies will sit and actually get better on the counter for up to 5 days. Or, you can individually wrap brownie squares and freeze for later. Microwave on 50% power to rewarm, or let them sit out on the counter for a couple hours to thaw and soften.
Gluten Free Brownie Variations
As written, this recipe is A+ simple brownie perfection! That said, variety is the spice of life so feel free to jazz up this base recipe with the following ideas:
- Add 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts or white chocolate chips to the batter.
- Sprinkle the top of the brownie batter with coarse, flaky sea salt before baking.
- Enjoy Brownie a la Mode with warm hot fudge sauce and cold vanilla ice cream.
- Dust the tops with powdered sugar for a sweet, old fashioned presentation.
Alrighty – grab your aprons and let’s bake!
How to Make Gluten Free Brownies From Scratch
Start by adding unsweetened baking chocolate to a large, microwave-safe bowl with butter or your favorite vegan butter.
Microwave on high for 1-1/2 – 2 minutes then whisk until the chocolate is completely smooth.
Next add sugar then whisk until sooth, and then add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
Lastly, add gluten-free flour blend WITH a binder (you could use all-purpose if you don’t need to eat gluten-free,) then whisk until incorporated.
Not even going to pretend I didn’t lick this whisk!
Pour the brownie batter into a foil or parchment paper-lined, nonstick-sprayed 9×13″ baking pan then bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. Check the brownies around the 13 minute mark – if the sides are browning too fast, gently place a piece of foil on top and continue baking until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with fudgy crumbs. Er on the side of underbaking vs overbaking!
Let the brownies cool completely (<– yeah right!) then lift them out of the pan using the foil or parchment paper ends. Slice with sharp knife then serve sprinkled with powdered sugar, if you please. Have a glass of milk handy because these babies demand it. Thick, dense, fudgy, and perfectly chocolatey. Enjoy!
- Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cakes for 2
- Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Blondies
- Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Gluten Free Brownies
Gluten Free Brownies are the ultimate, dense and chewy brownie. Made in just one bowl, these fudgy brownies can be easily made dairy free too!
- 4oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3/4 cup butter or vegan butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup gluten free flour baking blend (or all-purpose flour if you do not need to eat GF)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then line a 9x13” baking pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Add baking chocolate and butter to a large, microwave safe bowl then microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Whisk until chocolate is smooth, microwaving for 15-30 more seconds if needed to fully melt chocolate. Add sugar then whisk to combine. Add eggs and vanilla then whisk to combine. Add flour then stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish then bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with fudgy crumbs. Err on the side of underbaking vs overbaking. Check brownies at the 10 minute mark - if sides are browning too quickly, gently place a piece of foil on top then continue baking. Cool completely then remove brownies from pan, slice and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, before serving.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.