Today we’re talking Air Fryer Chicken Wings, aka the most irresistible game-day snack you can get your hands on. I actually had no idea you could cook chicken wings in an Air Fryer until Ben started “frying” these bad boys up last month. One bite and I was hooked.
Impossibly crispy, juicy, and no deep fat frying required – nor do you need to toss the wings in baking soda or cornstarch or whatever you supposedly have to do when making baked wings. All you need is chicken wings, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of salt, and lemon pepper seasoning. Yes!
How Long do Wings Take to Cook in the Air Fryer?
2lbs of chicken wings will take 23-24 minutes to cook in a large Air Fryer. I start cooking them at 360 degrees then finish at 390 degrees to ensure the wings are tender on the inside and crispy and sizzling on the outside.
Can You Put Raw Chicken in an Air Fryer?
Yes! Although we usually use our Air Fryer to heat pre-cooked foods like chicken nuggets and tater tots, or cook vegetables, you absolutely can cook raw chicken in an Air Fryer. Chicken breasts also cook fabulously in an Air Fryer. Just think of it as a mini oven or grill.
- I recommend using chicken wings that are already broken down into drumettes and wingettes (see photo below). However, you can use whole chicken wings, which are a little less expensive, and break them down yourself.
- Chicken wings come in various sizes so if your 2lbs of chicken wings contains less than 20 wings (meaning they’re quite large,) you might need to increase cooking time at 360 degrees to render the fat and cook the wings all the way through.
- To ensure your chicken wings turn out sizzling and crispy, don’t overcrowd your Air Fryer basket. Cook the chicken wings in batches if needed for optimal crispiness.
Step 1: Prep the Chicken Wings
Start with 2lbs chicken wings that have been broken down into drumettes and wingettes. Or, as I mentioned, you can buy whole wings and break them down yourself.
Add the chicken wings to a gallon-sized Ziplock bag or a large bowl then add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil plus a pinch of salt, and 2 scant Tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning. I prefer Tone’s Lemon Pepper Seasoning Blend.
Lemon Pepper might seem like an unexpected choice for chicken wings but it is PERFECTION – trust me!
Seal the bag keeping the air trapped inside then shake to coat, or stir to coat if you’re using a bowl. You can now either use the wings right away, or press the air out of the bag and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Step 2: Air Fry the Chicken Wings
Preheat your Air Fryer to 360 degrees then add the chicken wings to the basket – if some of the wings are bigger than others I like to group them by size and Air Fry them in the same batch. The wings can be touching but shouldn’t overlap.
Cook for 18 minutes, shaking the basket 3 times, then turn the heat up to 390 degrees and cook for another 6 minutes, shaking the basket every 2 minutes, until the wings are brown and crisp.
Toss the wings with your favorite sauce or pour onto a platter with dipping sauces, which is what we prefer. That lemon pepper seasoning is pure perfection. No matter what team you’re cheering for, everyone will root for more Air Fryer Chicken Wings – enjoy!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Air Fryer Chicken Wings are audibly crispy and totally addicting - they'll fly off the plate! This easy method makes the best chicken wings EVER.
- 2lbs chicken wings (~24) broken down into wingettes and drummies/drummettes)
- 2 scant Tablespoons Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- extra virgin olive oil
- pinch salt
- Recommended Dipping/Tossing Sauces:
- Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- BBQ Sauce
- Preheat Air Fryer to 360 degrees. Add trimmed chicken wings to a gallon-size Ziplock bag or large bowl then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. ~1 Tablespoon or so. Add lemon pepper seasoning and salt then seal the bag, keeping the air inside, and shake to evenly coat.
- Arrange wings in the basket of the preheated Air Fryer - wings can be touching but not overlapping - you may need to cook in 2 batches.
- Air Fry for 18 minutes, shaking the basket vigorously every 6 minutes, or until the chicken wings are golden brown. Turn heat up to 390 degrees then cook for another 5-6 minutes, shaking the basket every 2 minutes, until wings are brown and crispy. Serve or toss with sauces.
- This is the Air Fryer I have >
- Chicken wings can come in various sizes! If your 2lbs of chicken wings contain less then 20 wings (directions here are for 24 wings,) you might need to increase cooking time at 360 degrees to render the fat and cook the wings all the way through.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.