Gluten free Apple Cinnamon Muffins are packed with the flavors of fall! Full of shredded apple and cinnamon, they’re a delicious snack or breakfast recipe.
I took the kids to a U-pick vegetable farm last week thinking we’d come home with a few zucchini and tomatoes, maybe some peaches too. Somehow, though, we ended up hauling home a trunk full the aforementioned peaches and tomatoes, plus sweet corn, eggplant, cantaloupe, watermelon, and more yellow beans than you can shake a stick at (never found the zucchini). The kids went crazy – I literally had to drag Gwen away from the bean poles screaming!
Our little adventure got me very excited for apple picking season which is just around the corner – can you believe it?! Although I’m never ready to say so long to summer, the thought of making Apple Chips, Apple Crisp, and Apple Dip with abandon sounds way more delicious than an eggplant and yellow bean stir fry (aka the only thing I can think of to use up those two random-to-us ingredients.)
My Apple Cinnamon Muffins are also destined to be made on repeat over the next several months. These sweet and pillowy muffins are packed with the flavors of fall and could not be more delicious. Perfect for easy breakfasts, snacks, and every moment in between!
Truthfully I had a tasty marinated tomato and sweet corn recipe that I was going to share with you today but noticed my apple recipes have started going gangbusters as people begin making the mental shift into the upcoming season. I just cannot believe that school is starting next week for us – this summer FLEW by! Anyway, I’ll hold onto that super summery recipe until next year and share these incredible, apple and cinnamon spiked muffins with you instead. Twist my arm.
Both shredded apple and applesauce in the batter keep these muffins soft and tender, while a hefty dose of cinnamon makes them taste decidedly fall. I cannot tell you how fabulous my kitchen smelled while these babies were baking up – it was torture waiting for them to cool down!
Tips for Making This Recipe:
- Which apples to use: Personally I love baking with Granny Smith apples. They’re tart, firm, and hold up well to baking – but truly any ol’ apple you have at home will work in these muffins. I tested this recipe with both Granny Smith apples and Honeycrisp apples with excellent results.
- Gluten free baking flour: For this recipe you’ll need a “1:1” or “measure for measure” gluten free baking flour blend, which means it contains a binder such as xanthan gum to keep the muffins from falling apart. I recommend King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour, or Bob’s Red Mill GF 1:1 Baking Flour. I have not tested this recipe using a single gluten free flour such as almond flour, rice flour, coconut flour, etc. (Though if you have almond flour that needs to be used up, I highly recommend these or these muffins!)
- Storage tips: Apple Cinnamon Muffins get softer and softer as they sit on the counter, and can do so for 2-3 days. If you want to extend the muffins’ life a little, you can store them in the fridge.
Alrighty, let’s bake!
How to Make this Recipe:
Start by mixing vegetable oil, sugar, and no sugar-added applesauce the bowl of an electric mixer, or a large mixing bowl if using a hand mixer, then beat until smooth and pale in color, about 1 minute. Next add eggs and vanilla then mix until just combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk together gluten free 1:1 baking flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, then add to the wet ingredients in two batches. Last step is to fold in freshly shredded apples that have been peeled first.
Scoop the batter into a lined muffin tin then bake for 24-26 minutes – your kitchen will smell DIVINE!!! Once the muffins cool, unwrap and devour. I hope you love this cinnamon-spiced gluten free treat – enjoy!
More Muffin Recipes You’ll Love:
- Green Smoothie Muffins >
- Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins >
- Banana Nut Mini Muffins >
- Healthier Zucchini Banana Bread Muffins >
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bars >
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Gluten free Apple Cinnamon Muffins are packed with the flavors of fall! Full of shredded apple and cinnamon, they're a delicious snack or breakfast recipe.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup no-sugar added applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups gluten free 1:1 baking flour blend
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded apples from ~1-2 peeled apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- Add oil, sugar, and applesauce to the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large mixing bowl if using a hand mixer, then beat until pale and smooth, 1 minute. Add eggs then mix until just combined. Add vanilla then mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt then add to the wet ingredient in two batches, mixing until just combined before adding the second batch. Add apples then fold into the batter with a spatula.
- Scoop 1/4 cup batter into each muffin tin liner then bake for 24-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in muffin tin for 10 minutes before transferring muffins to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or on the counter for 3-4 days.
- I use King Arthur Flour Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour for this recipe.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.