When you’re a comfort food lover no matter the season → Summer Chickpea Stew!
Oh my woooord, I cannot tell you how delicious this fresh and summery stew recipe is! I don’t know about you, but the word “stew” conjures up visions of wine-braised beef simmering for hours on end on the stovetop (which I’m all about during the season that shall not be named, just not when the temperatures start to soar.) That said, we’re ditching heavy meat for tons of fresh vegetables and chickpeas in a savory, naturally thickened broth instead. This dish celebrates some of my favorite summer flavors in a comforting yet light way and, best of all, it takes under 30 minutes to cook.
Watch How to Make It!
Before I go on, I want to tell you that my Summer Chickpea Stew recipe is sponsored by my friends at Red Gold® Tomatoes. Last year I started exclusively using Red Gold canned tomato products because all of their products are gluten free. Some canned tomato brands can only guarantee that a portion of their products are gluten free (their tomato sauce might be GF but not their tomato paste, for example. Can you say accident waiting to happen?!)
Right now Red Gold is partnering with Folds of Honor, a national nonprofit organization that provides educational scholarships to the families of fallen military service members. As part of their Ketchup with a Cause program, every purchase of Red Gold’s Folds of Honor Ketchup will support a family in need, so definitely look for that ketchup in stores! I buy my Red Gold® Tomato products at HyVee, and know Walmart sells them too. Here’s a store locater to find where they’re sold around you.
I included Red Gold petite diced tomatoes in my Summer Chickpea Stew to gives it pops of freshness, plus their tomato sauce to naturally thicken the broth and give it depth of flavor. Joining the party is snappy sweet corn sliced from the cob, fresh baby spinach, carrots, onions, and garlic plus hearty chickpeas too. Trust me, this is a meatless meal you are going to go back for bowl after bowl of. (I had THREE the first time I made it!!)
This stew recipe makes a ton of food and the leftovers re-heat beautifully, making it perfect for quick and easy weekday lunches. Pair with crunchy gluten free crostini, buttered bread, or mmm, I’m thinking a dollop of fresh pesto might be nice on top!
How to Make This Recipe
Start by melting a couple Tablespoons butter in a large soup pot over heat that’s just a touch above medium. Add thinly sliced carrots, celery, and shallot or onion, season generously with my homemade seasoned salt (nothing better!) and pepper, then place a lid on top and let the vegetables soften for 5 minutes. Remove the lid then continue to saute until the vegetables are tender, another 5-7 minutes. Lastly, add fresh garlic then saute until very fragrant.
Next add a can of Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes plus 1 cup Red Gold® Tomato Sauce, which will give the stew a slightly thick and velvety texture. You will LOVE the combination of tomatoes with butter, by the way. They compliment each other perfectly.
To the pot add chicken stock, Italian seasoning, plus canned chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) that have been drained and rinsed then turn the heat up to bring the stew to a bubble. Turn the heat back down to medium then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Last step is to add fresh sweet corn kernels sliced from the cob plus chopped baby spinach then simmer until the baby spinach has wilted, and the sweet corn is warmed through. The sweet corn will keep a snappy crisp crunch by the way – it’s a fabulous texture contrast to the rest of the stew.
That’s all she wrote! I cannot tell how you flavorful this stew is, plus it’s hearty, healthy, and definitely two…or three…bowl-worthy. I hope you love this fresh and easy recipe – enjoy!
More Summery Soups and Stews
- Vegetable Soup
- Tuscan Sausage and Vegetable Stew >
- Roasted Poblano, Sweet Corn and Potato Stoup >
- Sweet Corn, Kielbasa and Potato Soup >
- Senegalese Soup >
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Summer Chickpea Stew
Summer Chickpea Stew features fresh vegetables and beans in a savory, mouthwatering broth. Enjoy this healthy, comforting stew recipe all year long!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 onion or 1 large shallot, chopped
- homemade seasoned salt and pepper (see notes)
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 15oz can Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Red Gold® Tomato Sauce
- 2, 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, kernels cut from cob (~1-1/2 cups)
- Melt butter and extra virgin olive oil in a large soup pot over heat that’s a touch above medium. Add carrots, celery, onion or shallot, season generously with seasoned salt and pepper, then place a lid on top and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the lid then continue to saute until vegetables are tender, an additional 5-7 minutes. Add garlic then saute until very fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes, Red Gold® Tomato Sauce, chickpeas, and Italian seasoning then turn heat up to bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and sweet corn then simmer until spinach is tender (corn will still have a fresh, crisp bite) 2-3 minutes. Taste then add additional seasoned salt and pepper if desired. Ladle into bowls then serve.
- Click here for my Homemade Seasoned Salt recipe >
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.